Old 11-01-2004   #11
looking buisy
my first boat was a new dagger GT $1000.00,and the very next season i bought a playboat. so my suggestion is to buy something used,play around with that,have some fun until you figure out exactly what you want to do in this sport. happy boating.

marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004   #12
pnw, Washington
The thing to do is to go to pool sessions and demo days and get in as many boats as possible and know your personality. You will have to be an aggressive person to buy an agressive boat for your first year.

gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004   #13
Moab, Utah
pool sessions - yes!

the suggestion to attend pool sessions is a great one. I don't know what happens around the fort, but in the north metro area, CWWA has pool sessions every sunday. check out the CWWA website for more info and location. I know that Confluence will often bring demos to the pool, and it is a good opportunity to try different boats out. Also, CWWA does offer a basic learn to kayak class that includes equipment (boat, skirt, paddle, etc), which is typically provided by Confluence as well.

BTW, I would like to disclose that I am a member of CWWA, and as such the views represented above are biased toward the promotion of that club. I also own three wavesport boats, and would personally recommend you try one of the EZ's (choose your size). I know quite a few people who have learned and advanced in EZ's, and use them for most river conditions, including river running CL III & IV as well as park n play. spend less than $400 because you will want something new in 2 years anyways if you stick with it.

cdork, your comment is total BS. A diesel will have a much different feel than an RPM, even to a beginner. The flat hull of a diesel will have a more stable feel, and the shorter length will make a newbie feel more in control when turning and catching eddies. The hard chine design of a diesel also closely matches most if not all other boats being developed and sold now, while the round hull design of an RPM is not duplicated in any current boats. as always, your input is well thought out and oh so insightful.

CWWA member, wavesport enthusiast, and LP supporter,
Phillip Bowman
pbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004   #14
pnw, Washington
Not trying to pick a fight here but the rpm hull design continues to show up on most hardcore creek boats. I believe the Diesel is a better boat than an RPM but considerably more expensive at this point.
Old 11-03-2004   #15
The next zone, .
new boater - go find a disco - pay no more than $350 -
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004   #16
You guy’s are a bunch of hacks you don’t even know how much he weighs or his size. Since he was a rafter I would recommend a cruse control or an overflow that way he can carry a few cases of beer in the back so he can make the transition form rafting to kayaking smoother
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004   #17
hello all.....long time since I've posted on mtn buzz.

To this question........I recommend that you check out the package deals from CKS. This years catalog has two offers a Wavesport X or Z with a helmet, pfd, skirt and paddle for $799 and another "performance" package that offers the Wavesport EZ with the same list of gear but better stuff all for $1175. Any of these boats would be excellent for a beginner and you can't beat the deal...especially since the boats would be new with warranties. Check it out.

ps: gh, I am sorry for not staying in communication lately. We are all doing fine and sure hope to be out there this coming summer.
tomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004   #18
pnw, Washington
Tomcat, let me know and we will come out and camp with ya. I seem to be almost 100% and will save some vac time to boat with you. Glad to hear things are going well.