Old 04-10-2015   #41
Silverdale, Washington
Paddling Since: 2007
I got the 5.10 Canyoneers based on some others recommendations plus great experiences with their climbing shoes. My Canyoneers keep getting more and more use with hiking in to runs, boating in freezing or close to freezing temps, and more frequent creeking than ever before. In the 4 seasons I've had them, they only have suffered minor cosmetic damage and no issues with actual functional use. I have a pair of the 5.10 Water Tennies as well, and while I've only had them for just under a year and not nearly as much wear and tear as my Canyoneers, I haven't experienced any of the reported problems others are having.

I am pretty loyal to my 5.10s due to my experiences; however, if I was looking to switch footwear I'd probably go with Astral. I think it's great Philip from Astral took the time to personally reply, and I do love my Astral GJ. I think it's great that Astral is give boaters better options in footwear. While it is unfortunate people have experienced issues with product lines in the past, it does sound like it's a small percentage, if Philip is to be believed. I wonder if the people who have had issues with the 5.10s may be in a similar situation. Either way, it sounds like a good product change with the stitching of the soles, and may also spur competitive change as well from other companies.

CO_Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015   #42
Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I have a pair of Loyaks which I love with caveats. I have been in them since May 18th (although some days I wore booties).

They have a sticky sole and I feel confident stepping on boulders under the current and rock hopping on the shore when the shoes are wet. I love the minimalist flexible sole which helps with grip and allows you to feel when you are losing traction. This is also nice when wading. They dry quick enough due in part I think to the closed cell foam insole and I have no concerns over build quality. I love the look and color schemes. I wouldn't mind picking up a second pair as everyday shoes.

That being said they stretch when wet and my heel has come out on several occassions. My heel came out of one shoe while I was practicing a group wading exercise and I had to put the shoe back on and tighten the laces in an eddy in the middle of the creek. I had tied them tightly with a double knot less than an hour before. I was wearing wool socksand that could have been a factor. I don't see this being an issue with the Hiyak however. They also collect rocks and sand.

Overall I like them but be sure to check your laces.

RiversRohrer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015   #43
Placerville, California
Paddling Since: 2010
I love my Astral PFD and don't mean to take anything away from the company but there are some new Adidas shoes that are pretty awesome.

Both the Climacool Jawpaw Lace (smaller and lower profile for playboating) and the Terrex Solo (which replaced my old Five Ten Savants) have the Five Ten rubber and are holding up well for me so far.

Maybe worth checking out as an option!

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
kirbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015   #44
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
My water tennies are falling apart after only a couple months of use. Have NRS Crush for back up, and will look into Velocity or Rassler for next season.
SteamboatBORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015   #45
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
I know this is a bit of an old thread, but I thought I'd throw my review of the Loyaks here.

Review: Astral Loyak - SUP for the Soul

TL;DR Great shoes, love them. Only problem is the laces come untied.

benjamin_smith is offline   Reply With Quote