Old 10-06-2007   #1
Salida, Colorado
Never Kayaked! Need Advice!

I'm interested in buying a used kayak for next season.
I've never kayaked before but want to learn! I just recently moved near the Arkansas River and I'm ready to enjoy the river. I want to go ahead a purchase one to practice rolling and such in the pool.
I'm 5'7" about 125 lbs.
Any advice would be great!!! Type of kayak, size, etc.

susanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007   #2
Likes it wet.
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 2006
It really depends what type of kayaking you are thinking about getting into.

Playboating is kayaking in a small (planing hull) boat, doing freestyle tricks using a variety of river features or "playspots". It's a lot of fun, especially in Salida . If this is the kind of kayaking you think you'll be interested in you should look for a Dagger Kingpin 6.2, Wavesport Project 45, or Jackson Star.

If you want to do some playboating as well as river run, an extremely soild and great intro. boat is the Jackson 2-Fun. I would look around for the used 2007 Model Year boat.

If you are all together not interested in playboating look into purchasing a boat such as a Liquid Logic Trigger, Wavesport Diesel 65, Dagger Mamba, or an older model kayak such as a Wavesport Siren.

If you need any more information let me know... I'll be able to point you the right direction. You can e-mail me at

Hope this helps!!

-Mike Konschnik

LiquidGuy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007   #3
Hood River, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2163
Do you want to buy a used kayak or a new one?

If you are after a used one then there will be tons of old models on craigslist and what not. Also, check with CKS to see if they know of any used or consignment boats. (Not to mention people on here will have some).

As for new models, you would fit pretty well in a Jackson Star or 2Fun. The Star will be a little more playful where as the 2Fun will still let you play but also give you a little more stability on the river. Both boats have great outfitting that is easy to use and adjust. If you have any questions just ask me or check out

If you want to look at other companies, Dagger, Wave Sport, Riot, etc will all have models in sizes that will work for you.

Just my own personal bias, don't start off in a "creek boat" (the big round ones). Although many people support these boats for beginners because they are so forgiving, I find that they teach bad habits in learning paddlers. Also, these boats are made for class IV and V paddling. After your initial learning phase, a creek boat will prevent you from playing around on most class II to III+ runs.

Basically, go with a boat that is within the range of 42-48 gallons in my opinion. Any company's website will have the specs on all of their boats including volume.

David Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I was in the same situation as well, this coming september, i was paddling a huck(I like it alot), just not very good for my tastes, as seeing how i'm at confluence park 6 out of 7 days a week, so sad to say. but until i get car insurance , i'm not gonna use it as much . However, i'm now paddling a liquid logic ronin 49, and it's weight range is from 120-170, and i'm about 5'6/5'7 top of the weight range for it, and I like it quite a bit. The best bet, is to paddle as many of the kayaks different manufacturers make as much as possible, and see which one works the best.
jeremy_warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007   #5
If you are looking for a boat for learning in a pool my advice would be don't buy one. People at the pool will have boats or you can demo one. If you have the equipment other than a boat you can go to the pool and feel boats out that way you can see what boats you like. That way you don't buy a new boat and decide you don't like it and you don't buy a used boat that you will grow out of, ability wise, and not be able to resell it.
Nathan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007   #6
DIllon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
DEMO DEMO DEMO!!!!!! The above posts say it all DEMO DEMO DEMO!!!!!! Nose plugs and goggles helped me in the pool when learning my first few times.

2 Trailer Park Girls Go Round The Out Side!! "M"
shady is offline   Reply With Quote