Old 02-14-2007   #1
Charc in = charc out
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1992
Need your input MBuzz

ok, so i have 2 designs that i want to have printed on t-shirts. the designs are unique & aesthetically tasteful -- i work for a creative agency after all, so i think they'd look good on a t-shirt.

anyway, my main question is on pricing. i'm pretty committed to using organic cotton blanks, which obviously drives the price up considerably. (( until OG becomes the standard on the supply side, until the infrastructure exists to support OG, & until wholesalers really adopt OG product, it will be at price premium compared to conventional cotton))

obviously creating screens for 2+ colors drives up price. for many colors, you gotta go digital, which is spendy. for a short-run, you can easily end up with landed costs that are in the normal *retail* range.

so my question -- what price or price range would you guys pay for a limited-edition, unique design printed on a short-sleeve organic cotton blank?

what price is your absolute cut-off?

is supporting organic important enough to you that you'd pay a little extra?

thanks amigos.

ToddG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007   #2
, Colorado
I wouldn't pay more than $25 for a T-shirt, and it would have to be a pretty sweet T for me to spend that much...but I'm a cheap (and broke) bastard. I have never taken into consideration whether or not the cotton is organic, since I don't eat the shirt, but I haven't read anything on the pro's of organic cotton either.

IkayakNboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007   #3
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94

Want to go step further? OC is kind of like Free Trade... it can be BS and counterproductive.
mattyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007   #4
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
TG - maybe check out a long sleeve shirt. The cost may not be much different, but I for one would be willing to spend a little more on it. Plus I wear them more. I'd say $25 is the very top for me too.
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007   #5
Golden, Colorado
I'm probably behind the times because the last time I bought an item of clothing that wasn't a dry-top or surf trunks or something like that was probably about ten years ago... but I would not go over $20 for a tshirt.

For less than $15 I'd buy one, no problem. For $20 it would have to have a Slayer logo or something that made me fall in love with it.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007   #6
$25 is the max that I would even consider and it isn't likely that I would pay that much unless the cause and design was really Kick A$$. Call me cheap but most of the tshirts I own were free promo style.
RealitySheriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007   #7
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
6 foot twenty fucking killin for fun..

what up ToddG..nice avatar.

When I look at a potential T purchase, it's a combo of sweet shit on the front, thin-ness of the T (thinner the better), and cut (don't want it too baggy)

the most I've ever paid is $30 for my "Ski Iraq" shirt. the bomb.

I refused to pay $40 (including S$H) for a "Jackie Treehorn Presents" T that I could only find online from the UK and wanted real bad. in the end, couldn't pull the trigger.

as far as orgo cotton, can't say as it matters that much. maybe it should, but like homeboy said "I ain eatin it".

Opponents of ToddG and Washington beware...he's coming he's coming he's coming!
I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick "Americans" as their mascot. -Jack Handy
BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007   #8
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
10 for an okay shirt. 20 for a totally awesome shirt. 25 might be pushing it but if was a really sick shirt and you were pushing the fact that it OC, I might go for it.

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007   #9
Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
as far as orgo cotton, can't say as it matters that much. maybe it should, but like homeboy said "I ain eatin it".
BSOE - I hope Yvon Chouinard doesn't browse through the buzz. . .

I'd pay $15 if it was normal cotton, and pay $20 for organic, because it is a good thing.

Keck's smart too - Long Sleeve definitely doesn't suck. If it doesn't cost much more to make, I'd pay $25.
paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007   #10
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Shirt Prices

$20 is the upper limit and $10-14 is the mostly likely range.

What I really want are T-shirts made out of wicking material with anti-stink built in. I have enough cotton t-shirts and most of my "tech" shirts stink horribly after one wearing. I would be more likely to pay $25-$35 for a stink resistant wicking t-shirt than $15 for a regular shirt.

It would be cool if you posted your designs here so we know what you are looking at.

Unsolicited advice (feel free to ignore or mock with witty comments): I work at a publishing house and we do "fashion" covers on our books - so one book (a day planner) with 6 different professionally designed covers goes to market each year. We usually start out with 30+ designs and then use market research to pick the winners and get weighted numbers of each cover to retail (1500 of cover A, 1300 of Cover B, 700 of Cover C, etc.). It only takes about 2-3 afternoons to get the data and process it - but it saves us every year from picking designs that we like but that fail to market well to our target audience.

Personally I would get at least 40 people to rate each design and t-shirt color choices on day one. Day two I would put the designs on the favorite color backgrounds from day 1 and get both subjective ratings for each (rate on a scale of 1-10) and comparative ratings (If you were to buy one design/shirt color combo which would it be?) and then take those combos to press weighted to the survey results. Or simply do a first run with the top overall choice in the right distribution of sizes and see how it sells. IMHO

raftus is offline   Reply With Quote