Old 10-30-2006   #1

To everyone, a close friend of ours, Katie Hilleke needs our help. She was recently diagnosed with colon cancer and is going through chemotherapy. Her medical bills are astronomical and unfortunately her insurance company is not covering the cost. This is the time as a paddling community and family we can step in and make donations.

Katie Hilleke is an inspiration and a role model to me with her courage, strength, and phenomenal athletism. Our paths have crossed over the years and I have always been impressed by her independency and go for it attitude. I am sure she doesnÂ’t remember but I first met her on the White Salmon. I was a ball of nerves about to put on and she had just finished her second run down the river with her friend, Stacy. She was extremely nice and went out of her way to discuss the run and assure me that I would do fine. With her confidence, I had a wonderful day down the White Salmon.

Since then, I have kept up with her accomplishments via the Internet. She is one of the top creekers in the World and above all, a remarkable ambassador to the sport of kayaking, inspiring me and many others in the paddling community.

So here is what I'm asking you to do is check out

The club is putting together a raffle where all donations go to the Katie Hilleke assistance fund at 821 bluff creek club rd, Quinton, Al 35130.

To be entered into the raffle you should send an e-mail to Mike Brown at and tell him how much you want to donate and give him your contact information including your address to receive their possible prize.

Thanks and see you on the river, Tanya Shuman

tanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #2
We started this drive just under a week ago. We have 42 items in the raffle. We have seen donations of $860 so far for Katie and of 86 tickets in the raffle, 69 of those chances have been commited to Brad's First Descents. When we put that together with the $1800 bid for the Dagger boat, our boating community is having an impact.

You can participate for as little as a $10 donation For that matter, you can send Katie a donation for any amount. Small donations by many will make a big difference. Please join us and help make that difference.

Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006   #3
Georgia Moonshine
Colon cancer almost took my mother, she is a survivor. That is why this is so important to me even though I have never met Katie. With the help of her Dr's and the boating community at large, she will make it through.
Trout_Bobber is offline   Reply With Quote