KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
It sucks here. Denver is much better.

hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006   #12
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Hey Hobie did you sell off your Nomad last fall like the year before or maybe still have it? May need a new creeker this year...

Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006   #13
I spent a year living in Edwards and working in Vail, Minturn and Avon (yeah, I had to have three jobs just to afford to live there). The thing I noticed immediately after leaving the Eagle Valley is the quiet. No matter where you live along the I-70 corridor, you're subjected to the constant drone of traffic from the interstate and Hwy 6. The noise just permeates the Valley like an annoying mosquito stuck in your ear. I can see the possibility of mental issues developing in long term residents as a result.

Otherwise, the boating is great!
gard_nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006   #14
I live in view of the hiway in Edwards and cant hear it at all. The boating is awesome.. Whoever needed 3 jobs to make end meet, Its time to get a reality check, or a real job....It is not that hard, just dont be lazy.......It is paradise with convenience and I love all the front rangers who knock it, stay there on your lazy asses. Or, get off the computer and get a life
bshack93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006   #15
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I can see how the road noise difference is evident between Steamboat and the Vail Valley. Its almost like something you don't even notice till its gone. I guess its one of the things that you have to deal with when live in an easy access "paradise with convienience". I will say that coming from Denver you won't even notice it, as there is far more road noise in the front range.

As for jobs and such, you gotta do what ya gotta do. Vail Associates or whatever the hell they call themselves now (Ralston Corp. aka Purina last I knew but I like VA better because thats what I grew up with) offers many jobs that should pay the bills sufficiently plus you get a free pass that lets you ski for free n stuff. However, I could see how if you couldn't land a full time job at VA, finding sufficient work to pay for the lifestyle could be a bit of a challenge. I do find that from growing up there, if you wanna make a living that will more then pay for your lifestyle, get into Real Estate up there. It'll take a while to get in, but once you are there you can do very well for yourself. Regardless, there is plenty of work up there, though like the other person said, you might have to triple part-time it to get it.

p.s. Bitchin begets bitchin.....insults hardly make relations between areas any better. Outdoor enthusiasts tend to be pretty similar whether in the Mountains or the Front Range. I know its a rivalry and all but geez. JH

Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote