Old 06-09-2005   #1
Need Poudre beta for 6/11 weekend...

Planning to head to the Poudre for the weekend to paddle with my girlfriend who, even though she doesn't think so, is a solid class III boater. I've got a couple of questions about camping and what runs to do:

1. Runs -- Since we're coming from over the pass, I was thinking about taking her down Lower Rustic on Sat and Lower Mish on Sun. Is that a good easier to harder progression? Any trouble spots at this flow that we should be concerned about that can't be boat/road scouted? I've previously done both runs, but many years ago.

2. Haven't camped in the upper canyon before. Any recommendation on which (forest service?) campground to stay at that: 1) is scenic/along the river, 2) will be moderately quiet (ie. RV's), and 3) should have spots available when we show up on Sat morning?

Thanks for the info.

gard_nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005   #2
I think lower Mish is easier than lower Rustic, but I don't think you'll have problems with either. If you've run Bridges, I'd say lower Rustic is about the same difficulty level. Scout death by dismemberment and hole 99, everything else should be read and run. Take this all with a grain of salt - I haven't gotten up to run lower rustic yet this year.

As far as camping, are you tent camping or do you have an RV? I'm haven't done a lot of camping up there, but I do know if you take the road to the little south put in there are some spots along there that are pretty nice for tents.
jaffy is offline   Reply With Quote

Posting Rules