Mountain Buzz banner

need input

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Loaner 
#1 ·
What is a very stable easy to roll boat for my girlfriend she is new to kayaking and found my honcho to be to slicy for her liking even though in the pool it was fine and she likes it alot there.
Any ideas on older boats I cant aford a new Desiel or Mamba, A CFS maybe???

#3 ·
I second the motion for a dagger GT, I LOVE mine!!!! REALLY stable, not too hard to roll. It comes in 3 sizes (GTX or GT8.1, GT or GT7.8, and GTS or GT7.5). I have the mid-size one.

Another one to check out is a dagger RPM. that one has a rounded hull so it is easier to roll than the GT which has a planing hull (flat).

The nice thing about those is that she is not likely to grow out of them quickly skillwise. they are both great river runners.

Depending on how little she can afford, she can always get a perception dancer- huge, very long, stable, easy to roll, and you would be able to find one really cheap. but she would outgrow it fast because there have been so many upgrades in boats since the dancer left production. It is a classic. really, a classic! probably hasn't been in production in 10 years or so. I only recommend it if she is looking to spend less than $150 or so for a boat.

If she can afford it, I would definitely go for the Dagger GT, should be able to find one used for $400-600. maybe a little less.

Try out any boat before you buy, there are a lot of different models out there and a lot of personal preference. hope that helps! :)

#4 ·
I'd like to put in a vote for my Lil Joe (Liquid Logic). Its along the same lines as the GT. (My husband has a GT.) I love the outfitting, the stability, the volume, the ease of rolling, the planing hull for surfing and its cool lines.

This will be our fourth summer of kayaking and both of us are ready, or at least think we're ready, for smaller, more playful boats for easier rivers. I'll never give up my Joe though. I did Northgate for the first time last weekend and I was glad I had him: crashed three times and came up easy; it crashed through all but one wave; (one of my crashes); and its roomy, comfortable and easy to release for foot and leg stretching. Joe just makes me feel good.

Long story short, great boat for now, great boat for later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.