Old 03-14-2006   #1
Need Idaho Beta

Looking to leave for Idaho this Thursday, and come back Tuesday next week. Places to stay in Boise and McCall (visiting friends and relatives). A friend keeps telling me to ditch Idaho and just head to Hood River, but I can't. However...

I've heard that Paddlers can run NF Payette in the morning, then drive over to the Little White Salmon and get an afternoon run in. Is this really true? How long is the drive?

Are we going to be able to find paddlers running the NF Payette this time of year? Is it ridiculously cold, or just Colorado cold for this time of year?

The play in Boise...I think its 36th street. How good is this feature? What tricks are paddlers pulling on it at current levels? Are we talking Helixes or flatspins?

Are there good Mtn Biking options out there at this time of year? Mostly looking at stuff around Boise...

Thanks for any beta!

Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #2
Fuck that play boat shit cutch, I'm in. North fork 2400 hellll ya. I'm taking school and work off Saturday through Tuesday. My roommate and I are leaving Friday night, probably at midnight after work and we shell all have are selves 15 miles of class 5 for breakfast.

E-Ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #3

Joe Carberry here..........send me an e-mail or call (970) 879-1450 and I'll give you the lowdown on who to contact for a run. The North Fork is rippin right now at like 2300. Get ready for some havoc. It's the shit.

You could definitely get to Hood River in like 6.5-7 from Banks--the North Fork takeout---Depends on what section you do. A top to bottom would be primo right now. Definitely scout Jake's (mile marker 87) and Nutcracker (about two miles north of Big Eddy) on the drive up. I don't think you can get both runs in a day because daylight savings time hasn't kicked in. Bring cold-weather gear but the temp shouldn't be to unbearable. Standard winter runoff attire...36th Street Wave in Boise is out right now so don't bother. They cut off flows on the Boise River recently.....Needs to be like 4,000 for schwaggy levels and 5,000 starts to bring out the goods.....As for Mountain Biking....I think it's open in Boise---try the Freeway over to Bob's--ask downtown at World Cycles on 8th street... The Freeway is the climb and Bob's is a killer, technical downhill jobby....You might not even want to go to Hood because the North Fork is so killer at this level. If you're jonesin for a knarly hole ride (huge loops) try the Pectoralis hole on the NF. A little secret I can let you in on.....

Hood River is around 5 from Boise but can be done quicker but the speed limits in Oregon are ultra slow and tightly with you soon......jc
Smokey Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #4
Bham, Washington
Paddling Since: 1997
yo cutch,

that beta is right on. i paddled the payette drainage last august when the NF was around 2K and it was a blast. The upper and middle sections are awesome, the lower section is 5- but still fun. There is generally a really solid crew up there on the weekends (I hooked up w/ a Dave from boise and a Jared from McCall) for the full run and the lower section is done most nights by locals. The pectoralis hole is pretty fun but you need to have you shit together as it's in the middle section.

coming from OR I think it would be hard to paddle both in a day but possible.

have fun,
Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #5
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Kyle - check your e-mail I sent you the number of my homeboy in Boise, he just started up again after back surgery, but he loves to run the same stuff as you. I don't have Claire's number anymore but isn't she still up there? She was hitting the NF last year and I'm sure could fill you in on some other details.
Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006   #6
Thanks for the info guys.

Unfortunatly, my aunt just drove by Banks and said that there is a ton of snow. The weather is predicting more to come.

Might have to bail on Idaho for now and hit Westwater instead...

Evan, let me know what you are doing.

Everyone is invited on Westy... unless we still go for ID.

Anyone know of anything else that is cool and running? Any of the rare Utah stuff? Pray for flash floods and magical slot canyons.
Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006   #7
Charc in = charc out
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1992
Anyone know of anything else that is cool and running?
Um, yeah. This ...

So, see you in a couple days, right? Bring Dotcom & Vagisil with you.[/quote]
ToddG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006   #8
I'm in.
hey diddle diddle...
lotsawater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006   #9
Hood River is definitely the better option right now. It's pretty snowy in Idaho, even though the water is higher. People are running the NF, I guess the seal launches are epic. Pretty full-on experience with the huge snow drifts on either bank.

If you ever did get both runs in a day (North Fork, Little White) that'd be a sick Northwest twofer.........Dave Simonitis is the man in Boise and also knows the Little White well. I'm sure he'd be down for doubling up sometime......

Smokey Carter is offline   Reply With Quote