Old 03-18-2013   #1
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Need help with paddle issue

I guess I will have to start from the beginning. In late october, I was in need of a paddle. I had just bought my first kayak and also had a pfd, skirt, helmet, and wetsuit. The paddle was the last thing that I needed before I was able to go out on the river with all of my own gear. So I looked around on mountainbuzz, which was where I had gotten my kayak, and found a good deal on a werner sherpa paddle. It was the green model from 2011. So I texted the guy and arranged a time to meet him when I was going down to Pueblo for some hockey games a couple of weekends from then, and I could pick up the paddle on the way there since he lives in Colorado Springs. A week or so after that, I got a text saying that the paddle was originally a 45 degree offset, but since he did not like it that way, he brought it to a paddle shop and had them change the offset by cutting the paddle down the middle, inserting a smaller carbon tube or something, and used an extremely strong glue to restore the paddle back to normal. I was worried that this would not be safe for kayaking with so I asked him a few questions about how it had held up for him, if it was as strong as normal, etc. He said that the paddle was very strong and should be fine for all runs except for maybe some class 5 waterfalls or creeks. Since this is only my second year kayaking(started with a school friday enrichment deal through AQS), I knew that I was not going to be running anything more than shoshone or some other high class 3 runs. So I went on with the deal and the paddle seemed great. It was stable, good offset, and in pretty good shape. However, a couple of weeks ago when I took the paddle off of the shelf that I had kept it on in my garage, the glue that held the two pieces of the paddle together had cracked. The paddle could now shift freely. I promptly texted the number on the paddle, and waited for a response. I texted him again about a week later without any response again. So I then sent him a message on mountainbuzz explaining what happened. Since I have not been able to contact him, I need to figure out what I should do about this. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Max1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #2
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
You could try getting ahold of Werner and see if they can fix it for you. They may charge you since the paddle is probably not covered under warranty any longer. Otherwise, you could just get some two part epoxy or something and glue it yourself.

I had an AT4 paddle that the glue in the center broke and the different halves would spin a bit. When I get around to it I'm just gonna glue it back together so it doesn't twist anymore.

coloclimber512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #3
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
There is a DIY blog out here somewhere on how to make a break down paddle, that will walk you through he necessary steps to bring your paddle back to good working order and also set up nicely for a 2 piece spare later on down he road, I will find them and post back.
DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #4
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2009
Here is the link.
Wheels & Water: Making a Breakdown Paddle
mbrookins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #5
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Well I just used epoxy to put my paddle back together! Hope it works, it is looking promising. Thanks for all the replies!
Max1 is offline   Reply With Quote