Old 09-15-2010   #1
vail, Colorado
Need help cleaning pressure relief valve.

Hey buzzards. My floor keeps going flat on my 14' nrs. The valve keeps leaking. I have the tool, but am a little hesitant to mess with it. Any suggestions/instructions?

skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010   #2
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997

Sand or some other foreign object is preventing the rubber flap in the PRV from sealing .It is the same as removing most valves just be gentle and you will be fine. I have to remove and clean the PRV valve on my E 140 6 - 12 times a year depending on use. Sometimes a hard smack to the floor around the valve will temporally fix the leak.

swimteam101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010   #3
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Put the valve in some soapy water and press the button until all the the sand and grit is gone. You can test the valve by blowing into it. When you take the valve off, just make sure the boat is dry and on a flat surface. The top simply unscrews from the bottom with the proper tool. The bottom is not glued to the boat so be careful not to move the boat around while the valve is out.

You should also go buy a couple of the rubber stoppers for the release valve and keep them in your repair kit. If you ever have a problem on the river you can plug it up and pump carefully until you have the chance to fix it. There are two different stoppers on the market, one is big (about the size of the valve itself) and has a smaller plug on the bottom. That's the one you want so if it pops out it'll stay in the boat and not fall through the bail holes.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010   #4
Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
just had to replace mine in an e-140. Pretty easy process. With the floor deflated use the tool to unscrew it until you can turn it by hand, then unscrew it fully by hand. Make sure that the threaded collar which is INSIDE the floor stays put when you take the top part off. The screen is attached to to a rubber stopper and you should be able to pull the screen and stopper off by hand, try turning it to loosen. Rinse the PRV and screen in water and reassemble. I cleaned mine and put it back in the boat in about 10 minutes, pumped it back up but it still failed at about 1.5psi and kept leaking, so I ordered a new one (leaffield A-6). Note NRS doesn't have them in stock, had to order from Clavey.
Looks like a wine bottle cork would work as an emergency stopper.
oarframe is offline   Reply With Quote