Old 12-08-2015   #1
Spokane, Washington
Need Guide For New Zealand Kayaking

Three of us have a February trip planned for kayaking in the Murchison area of New Zealand. The professional guide we hired had to bow out, so we are looking for another guide to replace him. Can anyone recommend someone for us that wants to make some money while having a blast with three low-maintenance dudes in their 50's? (We do not want to use the all-inclusive shops in the area.) Please respond on this forum, or send us a private message.

Thanks in advance.

Cosanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015   #2
Rotorua, NZ
Your best option is the New Zealand kayak school. If you're gonna be based around Murchison, you'll be stoked to go with them. Give them a call and see what they offer. Not sure why you're so averse to the 'all inclusive' as if you need a guide, you are probably already in need of more than what you're alluding to...

paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015   #3
Spokane, Washington
Thanks for the response, and we know the NZ Kayak School and their legendary founder are highly regarded. We did contact them first, and we may end up using them. It's purely about cost and flexibility. Together, the three of us can do the trip for less than half of the kayak school rates, as we have done before in other countries. Thanks again for the suggestion.
Old 12-09-2015   #4
what types of runs are you looking for?

I was in the south island last week for my honeymoon. The main objective wasn't to boat, but I did get a short run in on the Buller. We rented the gear from Mick and he seemed pretty down to earth - I'm sure you could work something out to contract out one of his staff for a run or two if needed. A lot of the runs in his area, you can figure out.

On a side note, NZ looks like the shit and I will definitely be back to boat.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015   #5
Spokane, Washington
Paulk -

A couple of people on Boater Talk had a similar suggestion. I'm starting to think we may just wing it, and find someone to go with us on the runs that require more scouting.

Thank you for your input.
Old 12-20-2015   #6
Squamish, BC
Paddling Since: 1990
Get yourself the New Zealand Whitewater guidebook by Graham Charles. You can find it online easy enough. It details all the runs around Murch, mostly class 3 stuff in that area, all very accessible and super fun. Theres also a nice park n huck at Maruia. If youre there in February youll be able to do Buller Fest to, always a good time. Enjoy

B3nne is offline   Reply With Quote