Old 03-16-2004   #1
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Need Beta on two runs.

First I was wondering about the Colorado at Windy Gap/ Byers Canyon. I'm sure just like everybody else I noticed it has good flow but I assume it is flat water. Just Curious.

More importantly the Upper Delores below the McPhee Res. is flowing close to 500 cfs. The McPhee has not had a release in 5 year that I am aware of. This would be a fantastic run this weekend with temps in the 70s. I understand this upper section has some great III (IV) whitewater. I am not familiar with any of the Delores below the McPhee, any beta would be greatly appreciated.

cosurfgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004   #2
Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1992
Unfortunately, if you look closely at the dolores gauge you will notice that the flow reported is 2 weeks old and there hasn't been an update. I clicked on the gauge icon on the left to see if the flow chart would pull up and it wouldn't. I don't know why it does this but if you look around the flow page you will see a multipe gauges with a date in front of the flow, that was the last time they reported. For some reason there is a crap load that stopped working on 3/5/04. Byers is not running the gauge is is directly upstream of Gore, which has less than 400cfs.

badkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004   #3
I noticed that hen you hit the gauge links, the internet addresses are incorrect.
It should start off and not
So basically its missing the "www" portion of the address.
Mysterious_Jho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004   #4
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Upper Delores

The Upper Delores below McPhee is a pretty slow section. There's only one rapid of significance, Snaggletooth, and it's probably not worth making the drive from D-go until it gets higher (like 1000 cfs or more). It's a good place to take beginners, but there are long sections with flat water. At 500 cfs, you're talking Class I or II with Snag being a III- . And the shuttle is a muddy dirt road with giant puddles.

The section above Stoner is what you want- playhole after playhole, and it runs early (mid-april to mid-may). Put in at Bear Creek and take out at Stoner.

If you want an adventure, watch the gauge on the Piedra. If it gets that warm in town, the Piedra will probably rise above 800 at Arboles, and it's boatable at that flow. You'll have to do the whole 20 miles, but it's kinda fun and creeky, and the hot spring is not covered by the river. Plus you get to scout the run before it starts ragin' in May. It's also a beautiful canyon- but start early, because it is a long day....
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004   #5
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Thanks for the info Flaco, I won't be heading there anytime soon. I have done the Delores (above the McPhee) many times, the shelved river bottom make for some awsome surfing.
cosurfgod is offline   Reply With Quote