Old 11-06-2007   #1
Sammamish, Washington
Paddling Since: 1987
Need Beta: Considering Costa Rica Rios Trip

The agenda and timing for the Week of Rivers trip looks good for me and a buddy...any one have any experience with this outfitter that they could share?

I know what the rivers are like (rocks, water )...looking for how nice the outfit is. Orgainzed? How's the food? How are the accomadations?

Any info mucho appreciated!

Reply here or to my email:

Nborelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007   #2
I went with them a couple of years ago when Skip owned the operation and it was first class. I think that they sold it recently, but it looks just the same. They had a decent selection of boats. I would bring your own paddle, spray skirt, and helmet if it's doable.

Turrialba is a cool town, not a ton to do there, but really nice people. We stayed at the hostel on the south end of town and it was pretty nice...and cheap. They had a sweet cook at CRR when we were there. Didn't paddle anything heinous, but the rivers and scenary are awesome.

dasunluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007   #3
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I did the Week of Rivers trip with Costa Rica Rios a couple years ago and I would highly recommend them. The food was fantastic, 3 homecooked meals a day, and great lunch on the river. The accomodations were nice in Turrialba, clean, hot showers, a pool table, and a whole courtyard to relax in after a long day on the river. We also spent a couple nights in a hotel north of Turrialba to run some different rivers. The hotel was in the middle of the rainforest, with a river and hot springs right next to it. But the best was their jungle camp, where you stay when you run the Pacuare (I think thats what its called). You stay in open air cabins overlooking the river in virgin rainforest. They also had hot showers here. If I ever went to Costa Rica again, I would go with Costa Rica Rios.
riverchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007   #4
Jenks, Oklahoma
Used them on a trip to CR a couple years ago.

I second all that has been said above.

A class act in all respects, boats, accomadations, food, bus, guides, river expertise and that camp on the Pacaure is really neat.

Had not heard the rumor about a new owner.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote

costa rica