GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
I sent you a PM about a Dagger Axiom 6.9

Mut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016   #12
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Answers to Pucon questions:

Paddles: My favorite is a Seven2 kayak paddle in kid size. It's been great for my kids to learn with. After my older boys outgrew that they moved to regular Werners, mostly because that's what I had available. I liked the AT Grom kids paddle but I don't think it's made anymore. I also really liked the Sawyer kid sized WW paddle - I don't see it on their website anymore.

Skirts: Here's a link to the Snap Dragon skirt with what they call the Safety Off Strap. It makes pulling the skirt easier - when you lift it pulls the sides in (vs. pulling front up/back) - and is super easy to find when upside down. I have an IR skirt with the safety off strap, though I don't know if IR is still making them.
Kid Trek Snap Dragon

For really young kids and/or kids who are beginning, I've used the Touring or Rec type skirts that have a nylon deck and bungee cord and fit the kayak very loosely. The skirt I have also has a safety off strap. This type of skirt helps keep the water out, but as long as it doesn't fit the cockpit rim tightly, it will all but fall off when the kayak is upside down. I used one when I'd take my kids in the double kayak when they were little and may not remember to pull. Because they weren't snug in the kayak, when it was upside down they'd fall out and take the skirt with them without having to pull. My wife and I tested that out in the pool a number of times before I took them on the river.

FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016   #13
montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Thanks everyone. We are heading out on a Juan trip in the morn and I have a work trip right after that. I will be replying to this thread and PMs in a week or so.

Once again, THANKS. Great people and great information here.
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016   #14
2 kids Jackson boats on craiglist western slope
nemi west is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016   #15
Vancouver, Washington
Piccolo wanted!

I've been trying to find a piccolo for my kids for awhile. Even gone so far as to try to have one shipped from the East Coast. If I can figure out the messaging I'll try to get in a hold of you with my info.
Just_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016   #16
Pucón, Chile
Paddling Since: 1990
Thanks Fatman Z and kids seasonal rentals...

Fatman Z - I think you just sold me on the Kid Trek Snap Dragon skirt with safety pull skirt.

mikepart - I recall 15 years ago having 7 used kayaks for sale. Upon putting them online to sell none of them were moving except my kids Jib. The Jib had multiple parent offers and sold fast. That was before lots of kids boats came into production.

I keep a kids boat in Pucon Chile that rarely ever rents. There is a local father whom wanted his kid to kayak but I did not want to sell the kids boat. Instead, I told him he could borrow it for the season just so his kid would learn to kayak at 7 years old.

I think your comment about dropping $1000/kid for something they are going to grow out of is a concern of many parents. I wonder if some retail owners would be willing to rent you a kid set of gear for the full season. Kids getting into kayaking is a soft spot for most kayak store and school owners. Even if you rented a set of gear for the season at $250 - $300 you might be saving money. and that amount feels reasonable to invest on your child.

From a kayak store owner perspective kids kayaks have longer shelf life. If they rent kids gear for $250-$300 for 3 seasons they've almost paid for the gear and can then sell it for a profit. And help 3 kids. I think it's worth asking.

Otherwise, you can buy used and sell used seasonally as there are several good options on this thread. As you know, they are going to outgrow the gear fast.

Keep Kayaking.

Pucon Kayak Hostel is offline   Reply With Quote