Old 06-08-2015   #1
Bruceton Mills, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 1967
Near Miss at Doud Chutes - Any more info?

Thanks, Charlie Walbridge, AW Accident Database Manager

Yesterday afternoon Engine 5 (Minturn), Engine 7 (Avon), and Battalion 7 responded to the Eagle River below Dowd Chute Rapid for a report of a near drowning. A private 13’ paddle raft had two swimmers in the last hole in the Chute, with one swimming approximately a quarter mile before being removed to shore by the group she was with and kayakers who were in the area.

Crews used a stokes basket and rope system to facilitate the rescue. Several firefighters pictured are in full swiftwater protective gear including drysuits because of the precarious position of the patient. She was on shore but just upstream of a strainer and railroad bridge abutment which are a major hazard in this section of the Eagle River.

The boater was transported to Vail Valley Medical Center for evaluation by Eagle County Paramedic Services.

River flow was 5.5’ on the Dowd Chute foot gauge which is approximately 2,500 cubic feet per second at the USGS monitoring site in Avon.
Thanks to the local boaters who not only got the rafter to shore but assisted fire crews with the operation of moving her up the hillside and over a wall.

Responding agencies included Eagle River Fire, Eagle County Paramedic Services, the Eagle County Sheriff’s Office and Vail Public Safety Communications Center.

ccwalbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015   #2
Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014

It seems there have been A LOT of rescues on the eagle. Primarily Eagle-Vail area. Last week//week before it seemed almost everyday after work there would be Fire trucks along the river and cops at the bridges.

Something I noticed the past few weeks to and from work/city market/minturn.
"Yeah I called her up, she gave me a bunch of crap about me not listenin' to her enough, or somethin'. I don't know, I wasn't really payin' attention."
FishVailStevo is offline   Reply With Quote