Ft Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Article in Local Paper

Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005   #32
Fort Collins/GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
ryan rescue

Matt, just a quick note. You went above and beyond and I think ultimately saved ryans life. It was a team effort and you did not interfere with my efforts on the other side, you aided them. I was not able to pull him off by myself, and dont know if I would have been able to...

The 'other things I could have done' keep cycling through my head as well, I think it is a great idea for us all to get together and put together a detailed account.

Maby Todd could organize this.

Matt, feel good, feel great. We did it. We all saved his life.

adrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005   #33
Denver, Colorado
Since I started creeking, I've always duct taped a 3 ft piece of flexible plastic tubing (I think it's called Tygon) to my bulkhead. Ryan could not have gotten to the tube as I understand the situation, but a rescuer might have been able to get theirs to him before he inhaled water and lost conciousness.

I've only had to rip it out of my boat once on Willow creek when a friend tried to run over a log and got squirted. We pulled him free and didn't need the snorkle, but I was positive of his survival due to a simple piece of tube that costs pennys per foot at any hardware store.

I don't remember the statistic exactly, but most whitewater drownings occur in pretty shallow water with the victim's head mere inches or a couple feet from the surface.

After reading all the accounts of this incident, my crew can expect to have some tube and duct tape at the next put-in.

Note: Don't get the tube too long or too large a diameter, you need to be able to purge a whole tube full of water with whatever air you have left in your lungs. Too small and you will have trouble getting enough air through in a paniced state. 3' and 3/8" ID is about right.
If you have the tube and valve that Rapid Air sells, be warned that the way that the valve works, you will not be able to clear the tube of water. The double check valve works great with the pressurized air, but doesn't really make sense for a snorkle.

Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005   #34
pnw, Washington
To you people that were there, you guys did an amazing job. I would see it as a priveledge to boat with any of you or to buy you a beer.
Thanks for the great recount as I hope it will help me and others if they are presented with this situation in the future.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005   #35
Not a river guide, Ft. FunK
It says in the coloradoan that they were met by an EMT in the canyon. Does anyone know what he looked like? Possibly a big, jolly ol man that kinda looks like Santa Claus, with a big grey beard??
gapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005   #36
good point about the tubing, I think I will include that from now on, even tho I'm no IV V boater!

great job everybody, I think I'll go look into a CPR refresher...
redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005   #37
I appreciate all your comments, been on the water all my life but very new to this sport. This mishap can make it very scary. Helps us new guys understand more about it all. Seem like a very tight and helpful bunch.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005   #38
Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
Quick Air

The hose might work for a little bit while testing on dry land, but it's not the same in the water. The human lung can only displace a certern amount of volume by breathing deeply. And, when it comes to exhaling where does it go? Back into the tube. So, in all reality your rebreathing your own air. With each breath you reducing the amount of O2. Within a few minutes you would get dizzy and possibly passout. Plus, the added weight of the water on the body reduces the amount of air volume that can be sent into the lungs.

Solution: Quick Air. From Rapid Products (the same guys who make the Rapid Air). They have added their mouth piece to the maximum length of hose that can be used. Now you can breath from the hose, and exhale through the mouth piece. No need to remove the mouth piece from you mouth between breaths. You get full airborn O2 with each breath. Just what the doctors ordered. We sell them at the shop. I feel that every Creek Boater should have one in their boat. They are cheap, tested, and work. Give one a look the next time your in.
I love to dance, but who needs the music- It throws me off.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005   #39
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992

I appreciate your boosting of professionaly made breathing devices, but the tubing is worth having. Purge it, breathe in through your mouth, out through your nose. I remember in the Arkansas, at the entrance to the Royal gorge, a guy died pinned on that old tree by Dvoraks. When the accident happened his lone paddling buddy was holding him up, he was stable but the one guy couldn't pull him out of the boat by himself. From what I was told by the paddling buddy that survived (I'm not gonna bring his name into it), they decided since he was stable that the other would run up to Dvoraks for help. Something happened and the boat shifted just enough to take his head under water. He probably could have held the tube out of the water and used it to breathe all by himself. So, I'd suggest it as it could make enough of a difference. However, I also think the breathing device is a good idea!
TimWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005   #40
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
To all those involved in the accident, you should be proud. I know that your story evokes emotions all across the paddling community. I'm happy to hear all worked out in Ryan's favor and am so happy for his family. God Bless! Whoever you god is.

TimWalker is offline   Reply With Quote