Old 02-19-2011   #1
Golden Paddling Since: 2005
NE Multiday suggestions?

I am planning a trip out to the NE this spring and would love to work in a quality overnight run into the mix. We will be kayak self supporting and with the amount of runs we want to hit while there I think that 2 nights would be a max. Anything from III+ to IV+(V).

Any thoughts?

We will be out there in May if anyone else will be out there around that time hit me up and maybe we can workout doing some runs. Would really apreciate a local or two that would introduce us to some qaulity creeking while we are out there.

Also, feel free to throw out suggestions of favorite runs from this area (New England, NE, SE Canada).

Thanks for the beta.

teletumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011   #2
Paddling Since: 96
There's a thread on NPMB that will give you some ideas. I know Maine and the only thing I can think of is the East Branch of the Penobscot for a 4+ overnight.

Northeast Paddlers Message Board: Forums / General Paddling / any multi-day rivers in the northeast?

I can tell you however that there is some very high quality creeking to be had there. The "bible" for that region is called "Let it Rain". Runs to go out of your way for are Gulf Hagas (slate gorge under Mount Katahdin and a must do), Nesowdenehunk Stream in Baxter State Park (classic granite), Sandy Stream (Cali style granite and my fave run in western Maine) and the East Branch of the Pemi just over the border in NH in the Whites. These are really high quality class 4+/5 creeks. Hagas and Sandy have swamps in their headwaters and hold their water well and all of them are so ledgy that relatively low flows will support quality boating. Sure would like to be able to offer to paddle with you but I'll be enjoying the Ark valley again this spring.

Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011   #3
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006

Phil is right - Gulf Hagus is a must (it's my favorite run in Maine). I would add East Branch Piscataquis as a quality creek run. Smalls Falls is a great park 'n huck to check out.
While it's never very far from the road, the West Branch of the Penobscot could offer good overnight potential. It's still pretty remote, and it isn't uncommon to see moose and bald eagles with Mt. Katahdin in the background. There are various put-in, take-out, and camping spots to alter the difficulty and length of you're trip.
GunnyRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011   #4
Golden Paddling Since: 2005
Thanks for the suggestions, We've been debating if we were going to go as far as Maine. You guys make quite the case for it.
teletumbler is offline   Reply With Quote