Old 09-04-2012   #21
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Originally Posted by leif View Post
Peaches, haven't you done vallecito? That drop with the log is fuzzy bunny. And the entry isn't too steep, but it's not flat, either.

Glad people like the video. There are some really sick women applying. Here are the other women applicants that I know of:

I'm getting pretty nervous.

p.s. Milo..... ..... .... I'm watching you...
Nope. Never made it over to that watershed while I as out there. looks like a great run though. Perhaps in the Spring/summer if I end up in CO for residency.

GAtoCSU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012   #22
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
nice video, great paddling.

anybody know if the the WWGP has secured funding/sponsorship to make the Chile event happen? i thought i read that it was in financial limbo.

tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012   #23
Boise, Idaho
Did the use of Regina Spektor too!
Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012   #24
doesn't need a fake name
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Tango, good question. I haven't heard anything, which probably means no good news. Initially I wasn't worried. My thoughts were "all they need are some stopwatches". But now that you mention it, there could be some issues. Casper mike has tried to organize events on zero budget, and it could probably work, but you lose some reliability and accountability. His boxelder race got canceled about 18 hours before it was going to start. I would hate to see the grand prix at that level.

Now I've got my fingers crossed in more ways than one.
leif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012   #25
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
In all seriousness from the looks of the last event all the money went to was partying... I can see why nobody is coughing up green. All you need is stop watches make the participants buy some brew for entry fee call it good. Unless having tshirts, banners, are what kayaking events are about.. The reason boxelder was cancelled was no water in boxelder it was obvious if you would have checked the gauge!

Quake race on 15th gonna be fun
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012   #26
For a small local unofficial event like the Poudre race or Quake race buying some beer for entry fee may work. The WWGP is a little more global being in Chile and having boaters from around the world coming. It would be pretty hard to say the WWGP was an unofficial event so I'm guessing even being in Chile the organizers are going to have to get insurance. It's hard to buy insurance with beer.

The WWGP has the potential to be the best competition for the highest tier of kayakers out there. It would be nice to see the sponsors who make small events happen make a push to make the WWGP stick. Then again most of the sponsors for small events are already sponsoring most of the athletes at the WWGP and maybe there isn't a market for growth for a company to spend any more than they already are.
Nathan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012   #27
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Well, if Natalie doesn't qualify, it won't be because of her paddling, it'll be those racist bastards not accepting her because she's white.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012   #28
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
It's chile you're pretty much on your own. I don't think it's insurance they are worried about. There was a race down there before. My north fork experience was you gotta have money to rent the venue for the partys the drinks and do it every night that's a lot of money to venues and drinking I could see this as a contributing factor they had no problem throwing money out the first go around. Just think the whole party scene isn't really what some of the old greys think about. You have worlds this and that the freestyle tour and what not lots of money going not in America. If it was here in the states I could def see a bigger budget from sponsors.

Look at the last wwgp all I remember is the partying from the vids not the kayaking... It would be sweet to see it succeed but I think some of it was like I was watching an episode of some reality tv show like jersey shore or some shit. I hate to say it but I think they blew it
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012   #29
doesn't need a fake name
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Does anybody know if the competitors paid entry fees last time? I suppose that wouldn't be that much money, though, with only about 25 of them. Unless the entry fees were huge.
leif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012   #30
Moscow, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
Awesome edit and skills. Most of the drops in the other entries are lay-ups compared to the stuff Natalie runs in here. Hopefully the judges recognize.

"A river is more than an amenity, it is a treasure."
-Oliver Wendell Holmes writing for the majority in New Jersey v. New York
phlyingfish is offline   Reply With Quote