White line 6 33.33%
Mishawaka inn 9 50.00%
Slack water at the lowers take out 3 16.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-10-2008   #1
Teacher, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
narrows race carnage

So the narrows race went down today and was as usual action packed. But the question must be asked to those that were there. Where was the most carnage? White line or the Mishawaka inn? And why?

boof512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #2
Not a river guide, Ft. FunK
By far filter-plant and all the douchebag tubers,tubing in cotton shirts when it's 60degrees and pouring,then deciding this wasn't such a great idea and running down the side of the already,insanely busy highway. Fuggin gapers.

Devils advocate
gapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #3
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Did Pete swim again? God damn, he's setting some new record with this one...

GAtoCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #4
Durango, Colorado
sorry to have missed it! was doing a commercial trip downstream. would LOVE to see some pictures and/or videos!!
durangatang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #5
Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I took video on everything and will post it (youtube) later this week.
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #6
Mad Scientist/Creeker
Gnarrows race was a huge success this year even though I swam like Michael Phelps. McClutchen represented hard for the 303 and took home the Buckle. That kid can take a forward stroke... or about four hundred in a row while most of the Poudre Posse was winded at the bottom of Whiteline (side note: I was very winded at Whiteline and may need a roll class, one thing about being a new dad is - it doesn't get you in shape, I could also use a full nights rest pretty bad). Anyway, Cutch bested FC's finest on his first day on the Poudre Narrows and it hurts. It hurts deep down on the inside but he is a special paddler. One of the best in the state.

16 racers, four full length heats, two Lowers semi-final heats and a super exciting finals with three or four lead changes. Wyoming represented and so did Denver. We even got to paddle with Joe and he was claiming and I quote, "hands down - best race of the year." You can't beat the boatercross. Special thanks to Rob from the Forest Service who helped run safety and who so kindly decided to let us have our little race. It truly is a grassroots event and not even official enough for the FS to shut down. Awesome.

I need to heal my wounds. Zero swims until August and then BAM! Three swims in one week! I lost my boat, my camera, spare paddle, throwbag, pin kit, first aid kit and now the Buckle. I almost lost my paddle too but the bros found it. At least I showed up for the race echem, Marty Bell & Brian Gardel (Frenchy). They need to be called out for not representing for the home team and going to the Big South just so that they would have an excuse not to race. Echem, bullshit! The Big South was open for business on Sat. and will be at the same level probably through next weekend. The race is only one day a year. Frenchy has been a perennial finalist and Marty has the technique and the speed and they both have the ability to show up and take the title, if they would have just shown up. Now the Buckle is going to Denver with Cutch. NOOOOOOOOO!

As for the most carnage I voted for the Mishawaka. A big no thank you to the Mish. Used to be one of my favorite bars in the world, but after today I don't see myself going back - EVER. They kicked us out in one of the most rude manners I have ever been dealt with in a business establishment because, even though we brought maybe 25 people and spent at least a few hundred dollars in an hour on food and drinks, we didn't pay the cover for the Sunday afternoon band. We were out on the patio before the band started playing and it was lightly raining.

When it got sunny the band started playing and one employee came around and asked us basically if we were there for the show or if we were just having a few rounds of drinks. We told him we were there to celebrate the Gnarrows Race and to have a few rounds and he told us that we did not need to pay the cover. Then Jackass numero uno, who I heard is the new owner (not sure on that) comes over to us in a absurdly confrontational manner, telling us that we better all pay the cover immediately or get the f&ck out of there. Mind you, some us had more drinks and food on the way, excuse us for trying to patronize your establishment.

There were literally three or four people down by the stage dancing who had paid the cover (not with our group) and we were on the patio not even looking at the stage. We were over three quarters of the people paying for anything in the bar at the time. The dude was so confrontational, trying to push us out before we could even close out our tabs and get, much less eat the food that we had just ordered. Needless to say things escalated and I'm surprised that no Mish employees ended up being thrown over the railing and in the river. I am planning to boycott the Mishawaka and in light of this incident I'd like to see the rest of the paddling community take their business elsewhere. F$ck the Mishawaka - LONG LIVE THE GNARROWS RACE!

Rant over.
Evan Stafford
Cub boater: "What do the spiders mean?" Old fart boater: "Trust your intuition." CRCII
RiverWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008   #7
Gnarrows Race - Not sure about most carnage, but most action was at Lower Narrows

Originally Posted by boof512 View Post
So the narrows race went down today and was as usual action packed. But the question must be asked to those that were there. Where was the most carnage? White line or the Mishawaka inn? And why?
Gnarrows Race - Not sure about most carnage, but most action was at Lower Narrows, at least what we got on camera : MountainGirl65's slideshow on Flickr
colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008   #8
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
i was pretty surprised the old meth head(not hippie) didn't get tossed in the river.

what the difference between the mish hippies and real hippies. the mish hippies can afford meth while the others can barely afford food. by far the rudest i have ever seen customers treated and the last time i stop at that shit hole.

we needed some white chocolatte
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008   #9
psych teacher, raft guide, slacker
Send a message via MSN to yoder
Man, can't believe I decided to bail on the mish! Kudos to all on a great race.

yoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008   #10
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Send a message via Yahoo to jeffy
Damn, wish I hadn't bailed on the mish as well! I took almost 500 photos. I was right on the river at Lower. I'll post some highlights to the buzz shortly. I have a good photo of every single paddler in the water whether on whiteline or lower.

Example attached

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0439.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	645  

jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote