Mountain Buzz banner

Napali Winter Good Kayak pirate Captains Needed Kauai

2K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  gnarseeker 
#1 ·
Attn: Paddlers and adventure seekers and those seeking a winter escape next year. I Just got back from another epic season of being an outlaw Kayak Captain, lifeguard, and beach bum on Kauai's Napali coast. Let me tell you it is an experience like none other. The most magical coastline in the world, huge waves and an ever-changing yet always the same ocean and beach and community. This season was particularly intense with some big surf and big storms and CLOSE CALLS. I pulled 3 people out of the water and did 2 evacs for injured people in my 2-man ocean kayak. Myself and others feel that it is important to have a boat and qualified 'water guys' on the beach during the winter. However most people who come to this remote beach come via trail and are not 'water people' particularly not 'rescue people'.

I encourage those who may want to go to Kalalau in the winter that are good kayakers and swimmers, to talk to me. (your river skills do transfer.) I hope to return for part of next season. but not all. And It would be comforting for me and others in the community there to know that the beach is not without a 'water guy.' This is a very special place for me and many others, (the most special place in the world for me.) and this is one area that 'needs improvement' that i intend to help with. Colorado people and Mountain people are 'my people' and good stewards to the land, this is why i post here.

This place is remote. but it semi-sustains itself as a world within a world. Its not for everyone. Even in the winter months there are days of calm, 5 ft waves, where people can swim but bigger waves can still come in and occasionally people get caught out. OF course there are days when no-one should be swimming out there too. swimming is part of the ocean though.

in 2011 I was the only one kayaking there in the winter. in 2012 a few others did with varying success. this may be a go place to be if the world ends in 2012!

please contact, Me aka, Captn' Mike if you think this interests you.
---unpaid position, but the hugs you get from lives saved are worth something.

see my video of failed shore break launch:

Life In the Water, Pacific Ocean 2012 - YouTube

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.