Old 07-28-2006   #1
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
N. F. Payette questions

I am thinking of shooting up there for a week Aug 21-27. Will it be running at a good flow? How far is the drive from D-town? Anything else to do in the area? Should I be scared? Anyone want to go? Gary E - you got answers?

JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006   #2
Almost certainly will be a good flow. There is decent 3-4 on the South Fork Payette that can be really fun. There are also a ton of hotsprings in the area.

The dreamflows estimate is usually pretty close, but there isn't a 100% accurate gauge. Look for flows between 1200 and 1800 for a first time run.

Long ass drive from D-Town, but definitely worth it.

And yes, you should be scared!

That used to be my home run, so PM me if you want more specific beta.

doublet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006   #3
i'll be headed back to idaho round then

maybe the week before, but i'll be r2ing at least the lower 5 depending on who i can get to partner with.
if i'd known it was gonna be that kinda party...
oopsiflipped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Figure about 13 hours drive. Great camping up along the South Fork with natural hot springs right there. You can scout everything on the North Fork from the road and bite off whatever looks good.
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006   #5
I'll be up there early in August. Doesn't help you but pm me if you want some numbers for locals to hook up with.......
Smokey Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006   #6
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
joe, think it's around 12 hours. Should be good level around 2 g's which is pretty sweet and nasty. Theres good camping and hot springs. I should be down there letting my hair down.

Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006   #7
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
So I'm doing a little internet research and can't really find shit as far as descriptions of the run. Mostly it sounds like everyone runs the lower 5 and that's it. Is this true? Do people from out of town show up and do top to bottom runs, or is that a local's only kinda deal? Sounds like it's also the only roadside run with a mandatory guide. Anyone with some more beta?
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006   #8
There is a team race (groups of three) top to bottom the last weekend in aug.. so the locals should be out. It is crucial to ease yourself into the NF . Break it down. Bottom 5 then Bottom 7 and then top five. Once you your feeling good ... fire up the middle 5. Give yourself the opp to watch the locs run Jakes before jumping in there.
crowdaroundum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006   #9
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1492
N. Fork will be cranking by then, lotsa fun.......

Releases from Cascade Dam are holding steady at around 1800 and projected to stay there and possibly increase to 2250 on Aug. 10. There IS an accurate flow page that gives the release from Cascade Dam: Once spring runoff has ended, that flow is within 150cfs of actual flow down the Smith's Ferry to Banks run (aka The North Fork). Just came down from McCall back to Jackson last Sunday, with no time to stop for a run, and there weren't too many people on the run yet, just five guys dropping through Disneyland at the time. As other natural runs start to get too low, traffic will increase on the N. Fork, and Aug. is usually the busiest month. I plan on being over there for at least two, possibly three, long weekends myself. Way toooooo much fun to be had there........
WyoPadlr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006   #10
loveland, Colorado

The long ass drive will soon be forgotten when you reach Banks(confluence of NF and SF and put in for Main). Definitely do the Canyon and Staircase sections (III-IV) of the south fork. Deadwood Creek could possibly be running as well(takeout is put in for Canyon). Camp near Crouch or Pine Flats campground for natural hot springs. Idaho is the place to be...

suigeneris is offline   Reply With Quote