Old 04-18-2011   #1
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
My shoulder story

I trashed my shoulder skiing in late january. if you missed the original story on the crash, you can read that here:

How my new rockered skis almost killed me

My shoulder rehab so far:

I saw Dr Wieder at Mapleton Hill Orthodaedics in Boulder, CO.

Anyway I was glad he insisted on an MRI, that showed the supraspinatus tendon hanging on to the the humorous by a thread. If he hadnít seen that image, the Dr likely would have recommended rehab, during which it would have torn it free as soon as the weights got involved. Also torn was the labrum, which may have done okay with rehab, but since we were going in, he fixed that too, along with a sub-acromial decompression to allow more space in the AC joint.

Before fully commiting to surgery, I got a second opinion from long time padding legend and orthopod, Peter Weingarten of Colorado Orthopaedic Consultants in Aurora. Peter looked at the MRI, saw the damage and pulled in his colleague Michael Hewitt, who does nothing but shoulders. These guys know their stuff. Dr. Hewitt would have done the whole procedure arthroscopically whereas Wieder did it partially open along with arthroscopy. If I hadnít already had it scheduled in Boulder, I would have dealt with the drive and gone down there.

That being said I am very happy (so far) with the results from Dr Wieder.

After reading lots of shoulder posts here, I was expecting a much more difficult transition post op. The first few day was spent high on narcotics locked to the couch. By day 3, I was not using meds except to sleep and then only through about day 5. not sure what else others may have done differntly, but Iíve not felt all the horrors Iíd read about. Iíll spare the timeline of when I started performing various chores right handed but it wasnít that long.

He didnít have me start PT until 6 weeks post op. Iíll do PT for 3-4 or more months minimum.

Easy paddling should resume 4 months post op, which is mid June. Harder stuff not until 6 months post op or August.

Total price tag is somewhere in the mid $20K before PT. Itíll be costing me my max out of pocket of $5K plus lots of down time from work. Iím not supposed to swing a hammer for another month or two, I think.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011   #2
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery! Best of luck with the PT. Looks like you will have some time to go hiking with the family

Gravity it's not just a good idea it's the Law!
T.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011   #3
Bham, Washington
Paddling Since: 1997
Go get'em Dave! Glad to hear you're on the mend. I think you're shoulder might be hurting more than you think
The high side of good - Daniel D
Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011   #4
West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
It really slowed your skiing down from what I saw at Eldo two Saturdays ago, not.
Chief Niwot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011   #5
Glad to hear that you are you are progressing quickly. My advice is to practice will power to stay conservitive for the entire season, it's such a bummer to go backwards. It may feel strong at 6 mounths, but will not be 100%. Good time to paddle with the kids.
vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011   #6
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Good to hear it's going so well, Dave!
I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied...learn to swim!
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011   #7
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Good luck Dave!
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011   #8
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Just saw this. Glad to hear Dave. And thanks for the call always good to catch up.
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011   #9
N/A, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2010
Had to go through rehab my senior year for my right shoulder from wrestling. PT really stinks but put in as much dedication to it as you would paddling and you'll greatly appreciate it.

Good Luck.
This mustache has a weight limit!
NathanH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011   #10
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
Heal up, Dave. I too am having a little setback with a shoulder separation that i've managed to refuckulate a couple more times now. Working on the stretch bands and paddling the lake for now.

FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote