Old 06-30-2011   #21
Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
Awesome stuff Ryan. We all swim as we're ALL just in between swims. One point I could see some improvement on are your correction strokes. A lot of boaters overlook using quick correction strokes and even a good old Duffek once in awhile. Get with a very experienced creeker or a good slalom boater, they can really help you out. Anyways, glad you're alive and breathing and thanks for the cool consequences video!

And the Lord said, let there be whitewater. So on Friday, the 13th day of the month....
mvhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011   #22
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Great job!

What a self-deprecating, honest dude. Sounds like you've got a good head on your shoulders & will continue to be a good kayaker. Enjoy getting back out there.

ttr230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011   #23
Rifle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Wow, thanks again for the kind words everyone! I feel like i was awarded a MB award or something... Retrieved my boat this afternoon, storm rolled in while i was looking for it and got soaked AND hailed on - haha, that sounds about right for this swim. Boat is in great condition and thank you and props to Smauk2 and his buddy Chris for putting it on the riverbank for me. Although, how the hell am i supposed to convince my wife that I need to buy a LL Stomper now??? Got back in my old Pyranha last evening and buried some whitewater demons on the Roaring Fork to let myself know I can still make it down the river AND return home with all my shit! Like I said, the purpose of this thread is to help people learn, and hopefully some will get something out of this, God knows I did! I'm definitely going to hit that section again before the summer is over, but I think I'll wait til the water drops a bit and go with some folks that have been in there before. Cheers everyone, enjoy your 4th of July weekend!

fids11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011   #24
Rifle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Well i got back on the horse this past weekend and got in on some Gore Creek East thru West Vail to the Dog Park. Felt like the section was definitely challenging but not over my head, and best of all, I came home with all my gear. Scouted ALOT more than I used to! Nice part out of my Marble swim was I got a new paddle out of the deal (although expensive!) - anyways here's the video of Gore Creek, a fun watch, i tried to make it look as epic as possible - still working on my paddle strokes too... Anyways, lots of good water out there still everyone, stay safe and have fun! Enjoy

fids11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011   #25
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
That swim video is scary. You were hauling some ass. Way to be aggressive and get to shore.
"We're gonna need a bigger boat"
CBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011   #26
I'm wrong 50% of the time
RFV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
I got spanked on that section a decade ago. Now I run it regularly in the raft all the way to Redstone.

The level has dropped considerably. Run it soon, or it will be gone.

Glad you found your boat and got back on the horse.
brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011   #27
Great video and recap! Thanks for posting

Originally Posted by psu96 View Post
it's hard to tell but it looks like your paddle strokes good use some work. your arms look rigid or something...fwiw
to me it is more about him needing to get his blade vertical when doing his forward stroke. It is fairly obvious in the video that his blade is out when it should be up. He'll generate much more power and stability by reaching forward a little more and getting that blade vertical.

KUpolo is offline   Reply With Quote