Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 04-28-2005   #1
My first time I went to Colorado, I hope it won't be my last

I have driven my big truck from North Carolina to California every week for the most part of fives years. In all that time I had never driven into Colorado one time. Most of my drop offs were in Shaky Town and most of my pickups where in Salinas Ca, then right back to North Carolina.

On this trip things where different, my drop off was in Denver. I thought that would be cool because I had never been there. I then thought that I always wanted to get high in the Rockies under an evergreen. You know just like in that Billy Joel Song. With that in mind I brought a little extra dope (weed) on this trip. Before I knew it I was in my Freight Shaker headed to Denver. It took me about thirty-six hours for me to get there and most of the driving seemed to be at night. I believe it was in early winter around December. I got into Denver Saturday morning at 3:00am so I fell asleep in my truck until they woke me up in the morning to unload me at the drop off. After the drop off I called my dispatcher and found out he had a pick up for me near a town called Mt. Powell, Colorado on Sunday morning. Since I had a knight to kill I figured I would get a real nice dinner at some steak house. Igot lucky and meet this girl while eating dinner, and before I knew it, she was taking me to a hockey game. The Avalanche game was my first hockey game I had ever been too. It was a blast. Hockey sure is a lot better in person. Well this girl and I shared a great knight that I won’t get into because I’m a gentleman.

Any way, I went back to my truck and slept for the night, then headed for Mt. Powell in the morning. I could not believe how beautiful the countryside was while I was headed up those mountains to about 13,000 + feet. I believe I headed out of Denver west on Interstate 70. I then headed North on Hwy 9 all the way to Mt. Powell. I got to the pick up just outside of Mt Powell at 1:00pm. I was picking up potatoes. When I pulled into the loading dock I was surprised to see that there was only one person working there on Sundays, the place was nearly empty. There was only me, the guy loading the trucks and another truck driver. This other truck driver looked like a big ole redneck. He was driving an old Peter Built with chicken lights all over it. He had on a big cowboy hat; cowboy boots and one of those real big belt buckles half the size of Texas.
So I figured I keep my long hair hippie ass to my self.

I didn’t get finished loading until 4:30 that afternoon so I got a late start down the mountain. I was sure glad to get out of there so I could smoke my last joint in peace. I decided I would drive about a half an hour to this little secluded spot on the side of the road looking over the mountains. It was going to be dark in about a half an hour so I decide to camp right there in the middle of know where. There was a little circle with some rocks that had been used earlier for a small fireplace. I then realized that some other trucker had camped here before. I stared a fire and I decided to cross this creek that was about fifteen feet wide because there was this evergreen tree standing alone looking over the mountain. Well it was time to get high in the Rockies under an evergreen. I jumped across some rocks in the creek too get to the other side. I then climbed this little hill to the evergreen tree, sat down and smoked my last joint just as the sun was sinking. Things couldn’t be better.

Man it was so beautiful and I was so stoned. I decided to cross the creek back to my truck. As I jumped across the rocks I slipped and fell right into the creek. The water was about three feet deep and it was fucking cold!!! By the time I climbed myself out of the water I was completely soaked and my buzz was fading fast. By the time I dried off, my buzz was gone. I decide too make the best of it and sat down around the campfire and smoked all the roaches I could find in my truck, barley enough to get a buzz.

Well all of a sudden I hear a truck coming down the mountain. I figured it was that redneck driver I saw back at the pick up. I said to my self, I sure hope this Cowboy doesn’t stop and ruin what’s left of my night.
But sure enough I could hear him slowing down. There was just enough room for a truck to pull up behind me and this asshole was going to pull in. All I wanted at that point was to spend a peaceful night in the Rockies with out being disturbed by some redneck cowboy. Just like I figured he pulled in right behind my truck and started walking over to the campfire, what an asshole. He walked up and said; I see you found my camping spot. I just looked at him and nodded. Then he said; I hope you don’t mind but I think I’ll join you.
I told him it was a free country and I asked him to sit down. That’s when he reached in his coat and pulled out a pint of Wild Turkey and said; would you like a drink. Well all of a sudden this redneck wasn’t looking so red anymore. I said I don’t drink allot but that bourbon was looking pretty good. We started talking and I told him about me falling into the creek. That’s when he reached back into his coat pocket and pulled out a cigarette case and asked me if I wanted a smoke? I told him I didn’t smoke. He replied and said; ole I think your want to smoke this. He opened the cigarette case and the smell of that sweet weed was music to my nose. He pulled out a fat hog leg of some real kind bud. As I was getting high I wondered if this guy had a couple of women in that coat, hell he had everything else.

I just couldn’t believe how badly I miss judged this guy. He had five of those fat joints and he smoked three of them with me that night. I had some food in my fridge and we made sandwiches and potatoes. We got all fucked up and before I knew it I was telling him rafting stories and he was telling rodeo stories. As I walked back to my truck to crash for the night, I couldn’t believe how much we had in common. He rides broncos for fun and drives a big truck for a living. I ride whitewater for fun and drive a big tuck for a living.
The next morning when I woke up he was in his truck filling out his logbook. I walked over to him and said I hope to see him around and then said my good bys. It was about that time I realized we didn’t even know each other’s name. I guess it doesn’t matter.

He then called me over and gave me one of those last two hog legs for the road and he kept the last one for himself. He then handed me a bunch of Rock and Roll tapes that some girl left in his truck earlier in the week. He said you listen too this Rock and Roll shit don’t you hippie. I just laughed took the tapes and said; see you around redneck.

I have never been back too Colorado since. If I ever do go back it would be real hard to beat my first trip.

This story brought to you by Pschedelic Dave and Raftgotar Don't forget to check out all of our new stories, pictures and contest in may's issue of www.raftgotar.com

Psychedelic Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005   #2
Charc in = charc out
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1992
that shit's, like ... far out ... man ...

ToddG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005   #3
Are you kidding me?? It is late and all, but that story was one of a kind. I have never read anything like that on the buzz. cheers to you my friend, and those joints you smoked. If you re-wrote your story and replaced "truck" with "6-4"...I think you might pass as snoop dogg.
howlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005   #4
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
good story ya f-ing hippy, come up to Fort Funk sometime and I'll show you a little burmese (Suuuper dank) and float the Poudre.
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005   #5
Whats the punch line? I don't get it!
soylent green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005   #6
Salida, Colorado
I think you need to cut back on the x dude. I'm pretty sure you never left
W. VA or wherever.
No amount of money is worth your free time!
whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005   #7
I'm glad you liked the story.

Hey whip,
Here at raftgotar we don't mess with any of that man made bullshit. it's all about going natural. Great whitewater, great friends, killer kind bud and fungi. that's all we need.

Hey Flowtorch,
I would love to take you up on that Burmese supper dank. Hell if I had the gas money I'd be there.

Hey mountain Buzz readers,
Once again I would like to thank all of you guys for reading our stories and visiting our website. I think you forums are the best in the country when it comes to whitewater. You all keep partying and paddling. We will keep partying, and rafting and writing.

Your Friends at www.raftgotar.com
Psychedelic Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005   #8
KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
I laughed out loud.

hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005   #9
Check the River Girls gallery...

ebaker is offline   Reply With Quote