Old 09-26-2010   #11
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by yakkeranna View Post
What features are best to learn to boof on? (i.e. best = least consequences, for me)
The best answer I can come up with for this is a stout ledge, with a nice pool at the bottom. There are some around here...but I have no clue in Oregon (although there should be plenty).

GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010   #12
Centennial, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
that is brilliant! thank you!

Originally Posted by freexbiker View Post
What is this with the "its easier to boof a playboat"?
Creekboats have more volume to ride up over the insert whatever feature you're boofing more speed to get a better release, aaaand might I add creekboats are designed to be boooofed....
Just think about PASTA!
P: Position
A: Angle
S: Speed
T: Timing
A: Adjustment (In this case its the follow through with the BOOF stroke)

bobela4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010   #13
not sure of your level but the upper wind has plenty of high fun low consequence boofs. the lower wind right now should be good boof practice never done it but I hear there are 5 to 6 waterfalls you can run at low water. mostly look for rocks on your local run that you know are clean at the bottom and go for them. opal creek near corvallis has some nice boofs too if i remember right.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010   #14
doesn't need a fake name
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Maybe try Sunset falls on the East fork of the Lewis, near portland. It's basically a park 'n huck (although there is a run below there). The left side is sort of hard to boof when there's water, so if you hit a good boof, you'll know you're doing it right. Just lap it over and over again until you nail it every time.

Also, do you have video of your boofs? Maybe the buzzards could critique your style. One good piece of advice that I've heard is to wait until you see the landing before pulling the stroke.
leif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010   #15
Just since no one else has mentioned it, how is you outftting? I find that if I am at all loose in my creekboat, boof becomes veryu difficult. If I have great knee/thigh contact, I can crank that sucker with almost no effort.
KUpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010   #16
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
If you are plugging most drops in your creeker, chances are that you are not even planting your paddle correctly. You need to give yourself time to plant a good paddle stroke at the lip. If you are just windmilling towards the lip with no plan, your boof will not work unless you get lucky and auto-boof. get your speed and momentum early, then when you get to the point when you are not sure whether to take one or two more strokes, wait and take one good one. One good stroke is alot better than two bad ones. It should be vertical and you should rotate your torso to pull yourself away from the lip.

Sunset falls would be a fine place to practice, but any small pourover will do. I think the most critical thing is being able to drive cross-current and boof into an eddy. Even if the boof is only one foot tall, you will know if you do it correctly, and probably no consequences for missing. Do this a couple hundred time and see if your boof on bigger drops is not alot better. Good luck.

jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010   #17
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Hard to know whats wrong without seeing it, but the most common mistake I find is taking a boof stroke too early. An early boof simply makes your boat go a little faster, but doesn't keep the bow up as you go over the drop.

A good boof, at its most basic, will be taken at (or just downstream of) the inflection point of the water where it transitions from moving forward and downstream to moving vertical and downward. This is typically where water is at a 45 degree angle to the vertical. There are a few exceptions that require a late boof, but thats another story.

A good boof feels like a pole vault. You plant your blade at or just downstream of the inflection point of the water. You lean and reach forward with your boof stroke, pull your body and boat forward using your blade as leverage, and using your abs, arms and torso you lift your boat up and forward. You should have the feeling of vaulting yourself forward at the point where the water drops.

One of the better explanations of this is in the Genes Advanced White Water Technique video. It has excellent visual cues such as slow motion video of good and bad boofs with a line drawn in that shows the exact spot to boof. Good one to check out if you are having problems with the boof.

A good way to put this into practice is to scout a drop, figure out where exactly the boof stroke should be, and then either video of take pictures of you boofing. Looking at the vid /pics afterward will tell if you boof too early or what your set up problem is. You want to focus on where the paddle blade is buried in the water with respect to the inflection point. If its upstream you boofed to early.

In general though, the best advice to for people trying to get the boof nailed is to have patience and wait for that perfect timing at the lip, but never before. What works well to start is taking the last stroke before the boof early so that you have time to wait, pause, see your boof stroke placement point, and take the stroke.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010   #18
Fraser, Colorado
Don't look down

Perhaps I can word a response a little differently:

One thing that clicked for me as I've strived to add more O's to my boof is to pay attention to where I'm looking as I go through the move. I've noticed that if I looked down into the hole that I was trying to boof over, I would likely plug the hole (or land at some angle other than perfectly flat which does not produce the sound and hence should not be referred to as a boof in my book even though sometimes this is what you want). This looking down & plugging business is a symptom of too-late of a setup/stroke for boofing.

Conversely, I noticed that if I forced myself to look only upwards at the sky or only out at the distant horizon at the lip (trying to take flight over the next far mountain range, never looking down) then I could land flat and boooof. Now when I want to boof, I think of getting hangtime like Air Jordan.

It's also helped me to learn the timing of boofing by doing it in other sports. I love to fly through the air, so when I'm biking in the fall or skiing in the winter for example, I'm practicing boofing at nearly every horizonline within my ability.
foreverhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010   #19
Telluride, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I don't have a dialed boof, getting there though. What helped me get the right frame of mind is thinking about it like riding a bike off of a ledge say 4' tall. You have to commit to riding a wheelie all the way off the lip or you'll drop the front wheel and eat pavement. If you pull too early same thing. Timing with commitment.
tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010   #20
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Yo Kayaker Anna, time your boof like you moon cars and you'll be fine. There's tons of good advice here except for caspermike's, so pretty much par for the course on the buzz. I think one critical thing is not to try to do everything at once because man there's sure a lot to think about in one split second.

Playboats are sure easy to boof so I think it's natural to feel like it's harder to boof your creekboat. The length may also be throwing off your timing.

In my opinion, the first order of business is the timing. As others have said, it's usually later than you think and I like the rule of thumb of once you can see what's below you, then throw the stroke. One of the those early lessons in boofing a drop is that it's a lot less important how many strokes you take and how strong they are than it is when you take them. One technique that often works is doing a pry with the opposite stroke that you're going to use to boof to hold your position and transition to your boof stroke. Some do something similar with their actual boof stroke as well, but I think that's more difficult.

Once you have the timing down, then I think you concentrate on pulling up those legs like you're doing a crunch. This one you can practice everywhere, even in flat water.

Lastly I think you start focusing on the vertical paddle stroke, torso rotation, angled boofs, and various advanced techniques.

Also, don't forget to use the water to your advantage. Think about where you can plant your stroke using the force of the water to load force on your paddle blade.

Maybe one day I'll learn to how to boof as well.

KSC is offline   Reply With Quote