Old 03-31-2011   #1
Mad Scientist/Creeker
My best shots from last year +

Just posted some of my best shots from last year to get the blood pumping for a big spring flow. Got to daydreaming about some spring action, Zion Narrows in particular and decided to just start writing (never a good idea) and ended up putting down a LONG response to the arrogant sandbaggers post a couple years back that accompanies the photos. So read if you're bored or just look at the pics and get pumped.

Fav Photos from 2010 & Whitewater Difficulty vs. Run Difficulty in Regards to the Zion Narrows Mess Boofington Heights

Evan Stafford
Cub boater: "What do the spiders mean?" Old fart boater: "Trust your intuition." CRCII
RiverWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011   #2
nice work on those!

seanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011   #3
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Great pics! Also spot on with the whole Zion Narrows fiasco. WWSR is as consistent and accurate as a 600 page book can be. Honestly, you guys conservatively overrated most runs (a good thing). Anyone who thinks WWSR is sandbagging has no idea what they are talking about.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011   #4
Bham, Washington
Paddling Since: 1997
The high side of good - Daniel D
Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011   #5
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
Stoked. Nice shots! Can't wait for warm, sunny days on Big Steezy like in those pics.
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011   #6
Near water (hopefully), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
You hit it spot on. I remember when Luke and I were checking out runs to hit in California, we were thinking any class IV should be cake. The first IV rapid we ran, a big water ledge drop with one nasty hole, and multiple sneak options, dished out the biggest beat down I have received.That beat down left me thinking pretty much what you just described. Stay humble.
smauk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011   #7
crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo
.......evan's photos.....

.....those photos got me scared.....looking at your book got me scared.....i will have to start sleeping with the lights on.....i will also try to tell myself that kayaking IS fun and a MONSTER does not live under my bed....not the only spring that i've had to leave the lights on at nite....thanks sandbagger author daddy still alive?.....scaredguy420cb
milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011   #8
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I love the shot of Nick Wigston on NFLW, the angle is sweet! The way the shot catches the angle of the drop plus the boat angle make it kind of illusionary...
"You know that old trees just grow stronger and old rivers grow wilder, everyday..."
ednaout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011   #9
Teacher, Fort Collins, Colorado
Nice pics Evan.

And, a nice write up on a tough subject. You hit the nail on the head though, and rationalized it very well. As boaters, we obviously have to make decisions based on a large number of factors. What I know as a boater is if I fuck up, it is probably my fault. Sometimes shit just happens--it's a river. As a guidebook author, there is no accounting for choices individuals make based on reading something, which is also why you have that nice disclaimer at the beginning of the book, so those guys can blow everyone anyway, especially for making the Narrows a total shit show now due to their own negligence and overreaction.

Boy, I must be ready for runoff too!
Buckrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011   #10
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quit being such a sandbagger! Do you even know how to kayak? Or do you just go to Water World in the summer with some water wings then tell girls at the bar how hardcore the Lazy River is? ; )

It still amazes me to hear people shift blame for their actions and not take personal responsibility. I guess it shouldn't though. Regardless nice post and I love the "Tom Janney, Hongi Gate, NFLW" shot - beautiful.

raftus is offline   Reply With Quote