Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 10-08-2012   #1
Heaven, Wisconsin
Paddling Since: 1981
Multi-day kayak trips in Late November out West/Southwest?

I have the week of Thanksgiving off (Nov 16-25th) and am wondering what multi-day (easy permit) trips might be running out West/Southwest at this time. Cold temps and low but navigable water are not an issue. Looking for scenery, decent whitewater if possible, and the possibility of a commercial shuttle situation. Is this asking too much for November? I would be coming from the Midwest. Thanks.

WhatWouldJesusBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #2
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Labyrinth, Lower San Juan, Ruby/Horsethief, and the Colorado River from Cisco to Moab (potash). Not much whitewater on any of these, but they will have navigable flows for a kayak.

I am going to do a kayak self-support sprint down Labyrinth 1-2 weeks before you will be here (weather patterns dependent)...

Hope that helps.

GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences. https://garna.org
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #3
Since you don't mind cold or flatwater...
San Juan river might be a good bet for likely okay flows, and pretty sweet camping and hiking.
I've been wanting to try Cataract this time of year, but haven't yet.
Gates of Lodore might be okay, but kind of short.
If you can take a few extra days for travel, you might be able to squeeze in a Grand Canyon trip, if you can find a cancellation permit.
Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012   #4
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
The Juan is definitely a great river with scenery, wildlife, hiking, and a lot of ancient ruins and history. I've floated it many times, never that late, but a close friend who has been floating it for 30 years assures me that it is terrific. Cool nights around freezing and Sunny days around the 60s. Plus I have seen bighorns between Sand Island and Mexican Hat every time. I'll actually be floating it that week. So let me know if you wanna link up on a shuttle.
Razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012   #5
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
The answer to your question is Cataract Canyon.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012   #6
Bozeman, Montana
The Clendenning, BC
TheFlophouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012   #7
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
rio grande in the Big Bend NP area. killer scenery and the potential to be warm,ect. string sections together around the santa elena canyon or the lower sections.

hells canyon.
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012   #8
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I have some friends that are going to run the Lower Salmon over turkey day.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012   #9
Grand Junction, Colorado
A group of us buzzards from the Northwest decided to do a Rogue trip last year. It's a great 3-4 day trip and the rain is not that bad.... permit free after October 15. The difficult part is shuttle because you have to shuttle your vehicle down into California and up the Oregon coast due to snow packed passes by November.
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012   #10
Heaven, Wisconsin
Paddling Since: 1981
Great suggestions, everyone. Thanks! I've always wanted to paddle in Big Bend NP.

WhatWouldJesusBoat is offline   Reply With Quote