Old 02-08-2007   #1
Multi-day gear advice

I'm a newly retired raft guide in search of a little help. Now that I'm a private boater I no longer have acccess to all the sweet and free overnight gear at the rafting company. So I'm trying to plan ahead for a few multi day trips this coming summer and realized that my equipment shed is a little bare. I need a fire pan, groover, kitchen table, med kit, and repair kit (like I said, I just borrowed those things in the past). Can anyone offer me some advice on building or buying those items on the cheap? Since I have more time than money, I'm looking to build at least the table, firepan, and groover but need some advice before going forward.

I'm also in the market for a solid overnight frame and oars if anyone out there has a set to sell for a 14' Avon. (I know, I should have put this stuff together while I had pro-deal access but was too damn cheap at the time)

Thanks in advance!

Dallas Blaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007   #2
Boulder, Colorado
just go to an army surplus store and buy an old ammo can and use that as a groover

tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007   #3
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995

I don't have much to offer other than that you check with some other venues that are more rafting-oriented than MountainBuzz. These include the Grand Canyon Provate Boaters Assoc., UtahRafters, High country River Runners, Pikes Peak River Runners, and Raftzone on Boater Talk. There's often discussion on GCPBA and Raftzone about making the gear you need.

There are some aluminum frame tubing and fittings in my garage that would be helpful building a frame and could be yours much cheaper than from the boat shop. Muffler shops can bend and swage pipe.

You should go ahead and spend the bucks on an Ecosafe toilet system if you're going to be supporting more than a couple of folks. Its meets all river permit requirements, is very convenient, not messy and you'll be glad you got it down the road.

In the near term you can invite folks who have the gear on your trips, so when that MF permit comes in, give me a shout!

--Andy H.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007   #4
Put an ad in the swap section. You might also check with outfitters -- they're always selling off older equipment.
ransark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007   #5
Seattle, Washington
multiday boating is the best, bar none.

For groovers, the best thing are wag bags. regardless of what else you use for your groovers, wag bags keep the mess and cleanup to a minimum and can be incorprated into any system. A rocket box and seat are your cheapest options there.

For tables, the blue roll-a-tables are cheaper and more stable than what you can build for the same cost in materials They pack easy too.

For a fire pan, a metal oil changing pan is a great way to go. Put it on some river rock to keep from killing the plants under the fire. Add a fire blanket underneath for cheap extended protection. Another cheap rocket box or even an old detergent bucket works great for ash storage.

Re a med kit, I've always just spoken with my doctor and saved my own prescriptions, plus some basics.

A repair kit is easy to do on the cheap. needle and thread, felt tip pen, duct tape, multitool, folding scissors, adhesives/thinner, brush, some fabric, and a rag, and that's your basic kit. I usually also add sandpaper/roller, aquaseal+cotol (for gasket repair) valve wrench/spare valve spare screws for footpegs or valves, and split rings for oarlocks, or pin/clip hardware

The most important thing re repair is can you get off the river. To me, this means, can I repair a puncture? Can I deal with a faulty valve? and can I deal with an oarlock/oarstopper failure? I don't usually go so far as to carry spare oarlocks unless it's gnar or a looong trip.

When travelling on multidays, I usually propose a list of "group gear" and med kit, repait kit, groover, firepan, and table all fall into that category -- you shouldn't need to get all of it yourself right away to be able to go.

slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007   #6
Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Just saw this on Craigslist. I have no idea about any of this, just passing it on.

Used Hyside whitewater raft and river rafting equipment for sale. Five: 14' rafts, four: 13.9' Hyside "outfitter pro series" self-bailing rafts with three thwarts.$1700.00 or best offer. Plus, used oar frame, life jackets, throw bags, splash jackets, wet suits,dry boxes, coolers, etc. All on display February 10th Saturday at the Holiday Inn in Lakewood, Colorado. Hours are 9:00am to 6:00pm. The address is 7390 W. Hampden Ave. Lakewood, CO 80227 For more information call Don, 916-933-9582 or 916-704-7576. Cash or cashier check only.

rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote