Old 06-22-2006   #11
SLC, Utwah
Look at the rice section of the grocery store. There is all kinds of new stuff on the market that is designed for microwave use. The majority of this stuff can be cooked on the stove top with nothing to add (even water). The cool part of this is that it does not need to be put in the cooler. The jambalaya with polish sausage pieces (that we did add) ended up being the best meal we had on our deso trip.

I will the 2nd the tire comment. I went through 2 tires (bfg at's) in may for our trip. The rocks went through a sidewall on one tire, and the other tire ended up with a 2 1\2 in. cut through the middle of the tread. Neither were repairable. The only tire shop that was open on the weekend was frickin' wallmart in vernal. That equaled to about 5 hours and an extra 150 miles before we got on the river.

AndTheLab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006   #12
With that many kids (ages?), I would make everything easy and quick. If you are doing the whole trip in 5-6 days and you get wind (common on Deso), you will have some long days on the river, so be sure to have lots of snacks handy so no one melts down when they get hungry.

I would skip the hot breakfasts if you are trying to get 6 kids off the beach in the mornings; you can do cereal, yogurt, bagels, fruit, etc.. If you pack the cooler well (solid blocks of ice at the bottom, food goes on top, no cube ice, cover all with piece of ensolite pad), drain daily, cover with wet towel, you can easily have ice thru day 6.

Take a lot of stuff that the kids will drink, but no drinks in your food coolers; keep them closed as much as possible (use drag bags or separate coolers for drinks). Water down fruit juice or give them something else, or you'll have a bunch of kids with the runs (same is true for any drinks full of high-fructose corn syrup).

Lunches are super easy; tortillas, pita, bread, veg, cheese, meats, PB & J, add chips, carrots, dips, cookies, fruit. Squeeze cheese in cans lasts forever. Jello pudding is always a hit. Remember to take lots of ziplock bags to keep stuff dry in the cooler (don't want meat juice leaking).

For dinners, again choose easy and quick to prepare in case you have a long day. Pasta and rice dishes are fast; the prepared mixes like red beans and rice are easy; you can make instant no-bake puddings and cheesecakes if you don't mind a few preservatives and artificial colors. The bags of frozen fruit/veg look great in the store, but they thaw fast and leak all over the place. I would store inside ziplock bags and use within first couple of days. Or, use cans instead.

Remember that weight is not an issue and you can take watermelon if you want; backpacker-style cuisine isn't necessary.

alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006   #13
denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
prepare ahead of time, vaccum seal, then all you need to do is boil water. It even works for lasagna.
SSOWDEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006   #14
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
A lot of good ideas coming out here.

One thing we always do is freeze water bottles. Quart sized odwallas work well and we even do gallons or a 2.5 for longer trips. Let a little out so the bottle doesn't crack on expansion. This keeps your cooler all but completely dry (still some condensation). Your ice also becomes drinking water.

I disagree with leaving the DO behind. They are heavy, but its a raft trip right? If the prep is done, all you have to do is light charcoal and stack. Some of the best food I have eaten anywhere is DO on the river. Line it with parchment paper instead of foil.
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006   #15
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I definately agree that DO cooking is the best part of multiday river food.

One tip on DOs that works really well:

Get the largest size of DO (16" or bigger), and then use round deep dish baking pans for whatever you're making. You just throw the baking pans in the DO rather than screwing with foil or other lining materials. It helps if you put a few small rocks in the bottom of the DO to keep the bottom of the pan off the bottom of the DO, so that your bottom doesn't burn. Use a channel locks for lifting the pans in and out. Doing it this way, you can cook multiple batches in the same DO without having to clean a sticky mess out of the 40LB boat anchor each time, or ever for that matter.

For heating its usually 2/3 of the coals on top, and 1/3 on the bottom. Some people count coals, but I never do. You'll need more coals with the larger DOs. Also, if you have multiple DOs, you can stack them.

I used this method for 3 weeks on the Grand with 2-3 DO items every night and it was sweet. You can pretty much make anything you would make in a normal oven: pies, cakes, cobblers, lasagna, even did a christmas ham. I'm hungry already!

Have fun!
benpetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006   #16
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
I've also lined a DO with freezer saran wrap, prepared a lasagne in it, then froze it solid. Once it's frozen, the DO-shaped pasta can go in the freezer cooler until the day that you want to cook it. Then you just bust it out & drop it in the DO with no on-river preparation, and slow-cook it while swilling cold sodie-pops on the river & throwing horseshoes.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006   #17
Ben Ben Ben.....taking credit for Don? LMAO! (none the less, using inserts allows quick changes with multiple courses)
WAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006   #18
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Don is definately the DO master. I am but an unworthy apprentice.
benpetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006   #19
Paddling Since: 1989
HUGE amounts of BUG SPRAY and hire a shuttle to avoid the multiple, I repeat, multiple likely flat tires.
pamfitz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006   #20
Gnarnia, Colorado
There's a great book on river trip planning that has detailed menu planning information:

JBL is offline   Reply With Quote