Old 04-25-2006   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Muddy Creek Question???

I was scrolling through the gauges and saw that muddy creek was 400+ cfs and hit over 600 cfs this week. Muddy creek confluences with the colorado at almost the same spot as the blue. I couldn't find anything about this creek in CRC or on the net after a quick search. I did a little farting around with google earth and it looked like the stretch above the reservior is about 33 fpm, and the upper part of the creek might be 50 fpm. I have never seen the creek but just looking at other drainages in the area it seemed like 400-600 cfs and 30-50 fpm would float a boat and probably have some class III in it. Anyone ever float this or check it out? Obviously its not hardcore, and probably not of high quality as it didn't make it into CRC. I know that there have been a few posts from folks looking to run stuff that doesn't get run alot and this one for some reason interested me (probably because I am waiting for runoff!). Any beta?

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006   #2
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
that comes out of the new wolford mountain reservoir just north of kremmling that they just completed...i would imagine you could boat parts of the stretch below the res, i dont know about above.

thats the res <-- i dont know, but this came off the Colorado River Water Conservation Districts Factfile for, that was a this on the blue? fishing

yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006   #3
Man that flyfishing shot looked pretty hairball,notice the dog was portaging,jk.
Deepsouth I agree with your assertion 400+ cfs 30-50 fpm likely some 3.
What about the other Muddy Crk. over by NF Gunnison, I've seen it with enough water and some 3ish rapids by the road anybody know about that one.
The really sweet Muddy Creek is in Utah,easy but unbelievable scenery.
cayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006   #4
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2004
Cayo, how easy is the Muddy Creek in Utah and how far from Jackson?
WisegirlII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006   #5
The guide books say 3-,not really anything that high,but you are in a commiting box canyon with few beaches if you somehow flipped and could'nt roll you might swim a ways,the bottom is sandy and water warm so a swim would'nt be bad unless it was real long.It is apx. 1 hour pasr Green River,sorry don't know which Jackson you mean.
Old 04-26-2006   #6
If it is the Muddy Creek above Gore...Don't bother! If the bugs don't get you the flatwater will and if that doesn't get you then the Kremmlingites will (trust me I used to live there). They are making room for runnoff if they're dumping 400 cfs. That water will boost Gore and the Upper C and eventually Upper and Lower Death. But it isn't worth your time unless you're bored in Kremmling (no! not bored in Kremmling, is that possible?).
farp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006   #7
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
ive looked at the Muddy Creek that flows into the NF Gunny quite a few times. its really shallow and super manky looking, not to mention extremely muddy, and theres a lot of small diversions all over the drainage basin, so getting enough water to float over the rocks would be tricky. the rapids look good but there is a nasty strainer to deal with too.

theres really only one quality stretch worth boating. it starts just above MM 33, where the creek floats through a clearing that was up until a few years ago a small lake, and where the gorge below it starts. there is a substantial (and weirdly shaped) pullout on CO 133 right around this area. it only lasts about a quarter to a half a mile.

the rapids in this stretch are the result of a very active landslide pouring in from river left, so shit could change real quickly on this, but theres four or five distinct drops. a couple of good sized wave trains that looked doable in the middle line, a longer drop around an island and some river-center carnage rocks, and then a kind of long back and forth affair. none of these look particularly hard.

heres the strainer problem: almost immediately after the last rapid the creek mellows out and there is an old decrepit bridge that is VERY low. at low water you could probably scrape underneath, but then there wouldnt be enough water to run the creek, so thus lies the conundrum. after the strainer, there is one more two-stage drop that looks kinda tricky but it emptys into a pool, and from there its only like 2 mi to the Hawsapple Campground bridge (the very N end of Paonia Res).

To get to the Muddy Creek in Utah, make your way to Goblin Valley State Park. There are several stretches on this that are runnable, but the gem that cayo was talking about is a water filled sheer box canyon called "The Chute"- outstanding scenery, no rapids. The put in for this is about 15-20 mins from Goblin Valley.

Anyone have any idea where the picture of the falls was? it was on the CRWCD website under "Wolford Mountain Res"....
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006   #8
Thanks Yeti ,kind of makes me more interested.I'd like to camp at Erickson campground and carry up to run Dark Canyon on Anthracite Creek{below the hair},you could goof around on the 2-3 stuff around the camp ground as well and then maybe do the part of Muddy Crk. you described,Crystal the next day.
Hey Yeti you know much about the other sections on Utah Muddy,I have the book,my bro and I are thinking of doing a run above I-70, sounds real adventurous though moderate whitewater,and maybe check out the headwaters.Good to combine with the stuff around San Rafael campground,the snowpack is at around 120% over there,Cottonwood sounds awesome.
Old 04-27-2006   #9
Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Here is the link to the description of muddy creek in Utah, definitely beautiful but seldom run and lots of flatwater...probably great for a float and some beers and camping....i'd bring my little boy on this run.
jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006   #10
placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
we ran muddy into the nf gunny years ago at hi water. very fun with the crux about v-.

steven is offline   Reply With Quote