Old 08-03-2008   #1
Colorado Springs Paddling Since: 1983
Mtn. Biking the Bailey trail?

I've never run Bailey but would like to soon. If the trail is good enough to mountain bike I thought I might check it out a head of time. Or I could treat it as a long run. I know it's used for portaging but how is it (and the foot bridge) overall for biking or running? Thanks for any info.

Mike Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008   #2
Indian Hills, Colorado
Private land from the top that is owned by a fishing club and home owners. public land (pine valley open space) from the bottom but turns into private. there is a dirt road that comes down to the river just below deer creek rapid, i am not sure if it is on public or private but if you could find it it would be a good run/ bike. from that trail you could get to supermax, trash can and deer creek rapid. the steep and four falls would require crossing the river below the steeps to river right.

hope that helps.

Jace Crane
720 290 0499
crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008   #3
Golden, Colorado
The best option would probably be to run it with someone who has run it before because it might get confusing as to when you are tresspassing and when you are not if you try to bike/walk it.

If you are comfortable with read/run in IV+ boogy and scouting V- and walking V then you'll be fine. If IV+ is at your limit then it could be a long day.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008   #4
Colorado Springs Paddling Since: 1983
Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure about any public easement on the trail through the private parts.
Mike Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008   #5
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Originally Posted by crane View Post
there is a dirt road that comes down to the river just below deer creek rapid, i am not sure if it is on public or private
what I've heard it is on private property. i heard story of someone hiking out at that point b/c of a dislocated shoulder in trashcan. i think Gary E knew/knows the landowner and was involved (as always) so he could clarify.

the beauty of this run is it's remoteness and inability to pre-scout it. you gotta nut up if you want to see it. but you can always Google Earth it : )
"I would drag my balls across broken glass just to hear her fart into a walkie talkie" -Jay Drury
tboner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008   #6
I biked in several years ago to take a look from the dirt road just below Deer Creek during the off season - I think it was running 50 cfs. Just go to Bailey and head East on Wellington Lake Road to NF-549 to NF-553 to NF-552. NF-552 dead ends at a gate for motorized vehicles. I mountain biked in - I believe it was 12 miles or so round trip from the the gate to supermax and back. The dirt road had some steep loose sand sections so it was hike-a-bike at times on the way out.
Khris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008   #7
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
The top is definitely private property. When we rafted it a couple weeks ago we encountered a hiking guide while portaging four falls. He asked if we knew we where trespassing, we responded that we understood that portaging was allowed by the landowner as long as we didn't litter and peed directly into the river. The guide said something to the effect of that might be the case, but he wasn't too happy with us. The family he was guiding video taped us running some rapids and that was that. I wouldn't mtn bike it from the top w/o landowner permission.

raftus is offline   Reply With Quote