Old 01-28-2011   #21
Golden, CO
Paddling Since: 1856
I would say Clear Creek (golden) has about as long a season as the Poudre. The play park is boatable all Summer but drops real low in August.

Basically the front range of Colorado blows if you want to paddle more than 3 months out of the year.

Originally Posted by glenn View Post
School of mines has a long drive to the hills and clear creek has a super short season. If you like driving to the ark valley or glenwood regularly to get your fix in after the 1 month season is over, then sure, it's a good pick.

IMHO fort collins is the obvious front range choice. The hills are a bigger drive, but steamboat is awesome, the poudre is close and super fun, great creeking options in the drainage, and after a fall like they just had on Big T, it's hard to call it a short season in that town. I think the Denver crowd has a bigger drive to Big T, but I could be wrong.

FrankC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011   #22
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

Know about Beartrap, what is the other one???

Quake lake run is also dam controlled. You put in a couple miles below the dam. It's a short run, maybe a mile long tops, but it's super consistent IV, with a V. The whole run is fast and incredibly shallow. You can hike the shuttle on the road that parallels the run and get some laps in.

glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011   #23
Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 2007
Thanks everyone.
mikesong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011   #24
The Bitterroot, Montana
Let me know if you end up in Missoula. I live to the south of the city and there are a handfull of hike to creeks down here.
montuckyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011   #25
lookout mnt., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
mikesong, seem's like someone ask's this question every couple of months and you 'll end up getting a bunch of dumb answers. so you want to boat and ski? there is only one place for ya, western washington u, belingham, wash. ain't never been up there but have heard from lots who have. best overall year round paddling in north america, 45 miles away is mt. baker, highest annual snowfall of any ski area on planet earth with lots of steep terrain. go there, wish i had.
MCSkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011   #26
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Didn't the Washington ski hills close temporarily from to much rain? MT is sick bro specially if cities aren't your thing..Glenn want to go Kayaking Wednesday night I need to at least float around..

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote