Old 04-02-2015   #1
Vernal, Utah
Paddling Since: 2011
Moving to Vernal, Utah from the Southeast

I'll be in Vernal for 6 months starting in June. Anybody from the area willing to let me in on the local knowledge? I'm from the Southeast so it'll be a whole new world. Contacts in the area would be great!

Curious as to what boats I should bring. Creeker, playboat, crossover? I'll have 3 day weekends every week so I am willing to drive to get to the good stuff.

Please message me or reply here if you can answer some questions.

npolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I lived in Rangely for awhile, we drove to Vernal for practically everything. The town is alright, brewpub isn't bad. Good Mexican food too.

Your local run will be the day run at the bottom of the Multiday section of the green river, the particular name of that section escapes me currently. It's a easy run...maybe 2+ but it's beautiful. Cross mountain on the yampa is pretty close too. Westwater on the Colorado is a nice overnight and a great way to spend your weekends.

Dinosaur National Monument is spectacular I spent many days hiking and xc skiing up there. Plus it's a lot cooler up on blue mountain than down in the basin. Fantasy canyon and the bonanza area around the white river is beautiful and remote. The lack of people was the thing I enjoyed the most about the area. When I got bored of that I'd just drive to park city, or south to Moab.

Enjoy your time there, 6 months is a perfect amount of time to see everything but not have it get old.

k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015   #3
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Mormons and oil workers plus goofy liquor laws.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
SteamboatBORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015   #4
vernal, Utah
Paddling Since: 1986
Visit our store

Hi. We own a whitewater shop and rental and shuttle service and are located on Main St in Vernal. Stop by and we can help acquaint you with the area.
melmorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015   #5
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
The local whitewater scene is multi-day trips in Dinosaur. Split mountain is the Dinosaur daily run. It's 25$ for a permit, so not a great after work thing. 2 hours to Cross mountain which has great stuff but can be down to nearly no flow by the end of the summer, any other good paddling is farther still. If you're willing to drive, pack boats as if you're going to be in Colorado.
Lots of great wilderness hiking in the Uintahs, you're not too far north of the classic slick rock country, a steadily improving mountain biking scene near town. Hit up the raft company warehouses when you get there.
Curious, what job are you taking? Odd schedule for a roughneck, and I can't think of much other industry.

Sent from my magical wireless thingy via mountainbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015   #6
Vernal, Utah
Paddling Since: 2011
I'll be working with the Forest Service.

Thanks for all the help folks! Melmorr, what is the name of your shop? I'll check it out.
npolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015   #7
Vernal, Utah
There is some creek boating up on the Yellowstone creek or river close to Vernal too. There are some boaters that work for the Fish and wildlife service and one of the foresters husbands is a boater. I lived in Vernal as a seasonal a few years back.

Clobby is offline   Reply With Quote