Old 12-21-2005   #1
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Moving to Steamboat

It looks like this May I have to move to Steamboat for work. I already have a slopeside condo lined up and I know Steamboat is known for a ski town. Is there a bunch of front range doosh bags up there? I skied there last year and it was OK.

What kind of boating community is there? Will it be hard to hook up with other boaters? How far is it to Gore? How far is it to Cross Mountian? Is that a good run? What is town run like? Last year I boated 120+ days in Durango, is this possible in Steamboat? How far is it to the Northern goods?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Creek Boaters Like Tight Boxes
cosurfgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005   #2
Poor you having to move to Steamboat for work! Your tag line of go back to the front was actually designed by a Steamboat legend (RIP Sully!). Plenty of transplants if you are worried, but it does not mean they are all "doosh bags". Sorry but our boating community is at max, no more room on any of our rivers. You are welcome to stand on the bank and watch us enjoy until someone moves away. Then there is a rigorous application process that involves the Plethysmograph.

Just joking, I would have to say we have a great boating community here. We have all kinds and are pretty easy going. I am not saying they are not the biggest bunch of characters in Colorado but we have a kick ass group.

Gore is just 50 minutes from town. Cross Mountain is just 2 hours away and it is pretty sick at high water (play). Hit cross in the spring, gore in the fall, Fish Creek, Mad Creek, the Elk during the main part of the season. It is just a 1.45 hour jump over cameron pass to hit the big south, spencer heights, joe right, and the narrows. Our play holes on the Yampa put the rest of the state at a great disadvantage (as long as they do not wash out again). I am sorry for you folks in Golden or Boulder with 20 plus worthless drops to choose from when playboating.

What northern goods do you speak of?

See ya around town in the Spring and watch out for my pink Inflatable Kayak on the mighty Yampa Town Stretch!

Old 12-22-2005   #3
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Damn, Nick- breaking out "Plethysmograph"! You must be studying for the SAT or something, or maybe you're just dating a woman twice your age again.

I'll be calling you next week- I'm coming up to Steamboat next week for New Years; let's get some turns in. Also -Willy is coming to town next week for some skiing- you should give him a call.

El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005   #4
I called Willie and some disgruntled 303 dude. Can you give me his #. I am going on a surf kayaking trip to Barbados from the 30th until like Jan 5th but you are welcome to crash at my pad if you need to. We just received a sweet 2 " layer of ice on top of the sick snowpack that we had. Locals are crying.

Not dating a older woman right now but a 21 year old Czech chick that is an Au Pair. Sorry to disapoint.

You down for a SLP trip in late January? Come on Josh you know I can not remember all the put ins and take outs down there. Y mi espanol es muy malo!
Old 12-22-2005   #5
I am not from the front range, but live in Steamboat and I am a doosh bag. The northern goods are not far. Wait, what are northern goods? I thought they were something you ..... Nick FYI some stuff is a bit weird, but most of that ice layer has melted/ broken down. Snows a bit heavy, but pretty manageable. Hve fun on your trip.
BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005   #6
Not dating a older woman right now but a 21 year old Czech chick...
Hell yeah!!!
ebaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005   #7
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005   #8
Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
Its all front range douche bags. Every where you look, even between your thighs when your drinkin your coffee on the pot. Oh lord what are we to do. don't go to gore because in every eddie at every time of the day, a new FRDB will be there giving you inordinate amounts of crap invading on your Durango coolness. Cross Mountain? FRDB's have got it wired. You might wan't to move to siberia where you are guaranteed to never encounter a FRDB. Wouldn't that be good. . . and so the story goes.

Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005   #9
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
haha, I just find the deragatory use of "douche bag" amusing
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005   #10

Doesnt matter where you go in colorado surf god, it all sucks, everybody in Colorado is a doosh bag, especially if your from Durango and paddle 120 plus days a year, then you're a very wet doosh bag. Skip Steamboat and just keep heading north, spend a little time in WY.

Cross blows, so does Gore, it all sucks except fish creek at high water. And, make sure you live in Steamboat for at least a year before you try to ride the A-hole.

Skiing there sucks too, again better in WY, I reccomend Casper, the goods are in Casper. The pow is sick, youll like it better there. Lots of farm animals too, easier to get some than in Steamboat. Just be careful, the cowboys up there are kind of posessive. I guess I would play it safe and go with pigs over sheep.

let me know if you need any other info alright man.

rigby reardon is offline   Reply With Quote