Old 03-22-2013   #1
Wilmington, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2005
Moving to CO...

I am moving to Colorado, I hope, come this summer as a new registered nurse. I have been to CO previously and am in love with the state but have only visited the desert (Grand Junction) or the front slope (Denver/Fort Collins) and know nothing of in-between. Wondering if anybody can point me in a good direction to boat/ski/mountain bike and an extrinsic city (i.e. Asheville, NC), and being a city that has a decent hospital...? I know it isn't quite boating but I have been living at the beach for 3 years and surf kayaking/surfing just doesn't match whitewater. Thanks for any input and suggestions anybody may have.

Cheers & happy paddling

curtismh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #2
Bozeman, Montucky
Paddling Since: 2009
Durango is awesome, especially Mercy Med Center is a great place to work and is probably what you are looking for. Really expensive rent in town so think about outskirts or even Bayfield for a small commute.

Skiing at Purg, or Telluride if you drive it, plus backcountry, amazing biking, and really quite a mecca of whitewater if you look beyond the town run. Crazy kayak runs all over and upper A and Piedra in season offer some good scares in a raft.

---but not sure how the snowpack is looking this year, I'm assuming its kinda grim, hopefully not as bad as last year.

Katweena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #3
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Howdy. I grew up in Raleigh and spent a lot of time in Wilmington / Wrightsville. You've probably been in the lineup with a lot of my high school friends down there, although they're probably a lot older. I moved out here a couple of decades ago and never left. No matter where you choose it'll be a bit of a culture shock, I'd recommend Durango; or maybe Salida. Durango just built a new regional hospital, it's supposed to be a nice facility. You could also live in Durango and start out with a job in Farmington, New Mexico- it's only 45 minutes away and probably less competitive than Durango. Nice weather, year round boating (almost), unreal mountain biking- I think it fits the bill.

Edit: Katweena got there first~
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013   #4
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
.... Greg's a male nurse ....
Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013   #5
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Check out Glenwood Springs. Valley View Hospital is the one here in town. Lots of whitewater, mtn biking, etc. in the area. Sunlight Mtn resort is 15 min away for skiing and you're close to all the Aspen/Vail area resorts as well. Great music scene in the valley here too.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013   #6
Jackson, Wyoming
As a new grad, jobs in the highly desirable places might be tough, and the front range is fairly saturated with new grads. Being male does seem to help though.
wyosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #7
Carlsbad, California
We lived in Summit County (Breck) for 10 years which has a fairly new medical center. Cost of living ain't cheap, weather can be rough but many fun options. If your a single guy, the dating options can be limited.

Did Durango for 5 years-more of a complete community. Newer medical center, cost of living is better, plenty of outdoor options in all directions. If you are single it is more balanced. A fun town BUT isolated from large airport. If you like to travel, you have to add time to fly into Denver or drive to Albuquerque.
robfischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #8
Carlsbad, California
Oh yeah....I almost forgot. There are a few trails in Durango if you ever want to ride your bike.
robfischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #9
Gunnison, colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Durango for sure. If I wasnt living here in Gunnison I would most definitely be in Durango.
Aim low, they're riding ponies.
TuffGonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013   #10
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
No, Durango is ugly and expensive and has no jobs! Go away! Okay, now that the obligatory "keep the furriners out" message has been posted, let me correct some of the slight misinformation in this thread:

1) The new Mercy hospital is actually well out of town to the east in a development called Three Springs, which has relatively affordable housing compared to downtown. Also Bayfield and Forest Lakes are not far.

2) The La Plata Regional Airport (DRO) is small but expanding, and in my ten years here I've only found it cheaper to drive to ABQ once. But you will have to change planes at Denver or Phoenix depending on airline (there are occasionally direct flights to Dallas and Salt Lake but they come and go).

The town run is fun, lots of other boating within short to long drives. Purgatory is good skiing and easy drive 25-40 min from town depending on weather, Wolf Creek is small area with great snow but farther off. Mountain biking is seriously awesome here with a new area just opened late last summer at Twin Buttes; you can get into the Horse Gulch/Telegraph trails right from the hospital or from town, and there are several other options.

Also, Mercy has an urgent care clinic at Purgatory, as well as one in town, and there is Animas Surgical Hospital too at the south end of town. No idea of the job market for nurses (or anyone, really) in general though.

ETA: and Katweena's right, the snowpack is grim. 82% in this corner of the state, 77% statewide before this last storm (which hit the front range, not here) but I hear they're up to 90% now.

ilanarama is offline   Reply With Quote