Old 06-28-2005   #1
Moving The Bulkhead of my boat

I'm new paddler that needs to adjust his boat. I find myself with legs that fall asleep. This makes for very uncomfortable days in the water. How do I adjust the bulkhead of my Pyrahna M:3?

chadmckenzie26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005   #2
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
The bulkhead should be on a rail with 2 hand screws on each side holding it in place. Just unscrew, slide down a notch and rescrew. Or am I not understanding the question?

I kind of doubt that's the source of your leg problems though. Check your hips pads, are they too tight or pinching you? How about the back band. Try paddling with a loose backband for a little bit and see if that helps.

Time in the boat may also help if all the fitting is ok.

Btw- M3 seems like sort of an odd beginner boat.

KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005   #3
The M:3

What is wrong with starting in an M:3? Is it hard to manuver? I bought it used. I decided that I wanted a creekboat. This is the best I could find used. I haven't taken it out on the river yet. What should I expect? I hope that I didn't buy the wrong boat. Thanks for the advice too.
Old 06-28-2005   #4
A-Town!, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
IMO creekboats are more difficult to paddle than the playboats/river runners. They are bigger, heavier and take more control, which make them more difficult to maneuver. I think that this would be even more intensified for a beginner boater.
ec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005   #5
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Well, sorry, didn't mean to freak you about your new used boat. I'm sure you'll get lots of different opinions about beginner boats, and you can go out in the M3 and do just fine.

Personally I don't think a creekboat is a great pick for a beginner. It's been designed for running class IV and up kind of water and you'll just be running II and III for a while. I'd liken it to taking a Hummer vs. a sports car out on the highway. The Hummer's great if you need to go plowing through the back woods, but it's not going to perform as nice as the sports car on the highway.

Some might say a creeker is great for a beginner because it's going to be more forgiving when you lean the wrong way or go into the current at the wrong angle, etc. I think it's better to get punished for those wrong moves so you can learn quickly in smaller water how you should be moving the boat through different features. Plus a more nimble boat will keep you out of trouble in the first place.

Anyway, I'd advocate something in the river runner/ playboat category. Wavesport EZ, Dagger g-ride (I think), Pyranha I#, or any of the many others. If you think you're going to be a slow or timid learner and want something more forgiving then the a river runner/creeker hybrid might be a good option like the Pyranha H3.

Just my opinion. I'm not an expert on boats so take it for what it's worth. You've got the M3, go learn how to roll, ferry, eddie in/out and all that, but as your learning you might want to check out some other people's boats.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005   #6
Too late now....

It's too late now I have already gotten it. As my buddy Dave found you can't find a used Big EZ. He ended up shelling out the cash for a brand new one. This is something that I can't do. He was having trouble with the Big EZ stting too low in the water. He is a little chunky and so am I. I find that my M:3 rides just right. My instructor only gave me creekers to paddle. I assumed there was a reason why. I guess I'll be tanking it for a while. From the way it sounds it's like a 79' Cadilac v.s. Mini Cooper. I like big cars why not big boats? It will give me something to grow into.
Old 06-28-2005   #7
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Nothing wrong with starting in an M3. It's fine for river running. A few years back NOC taught all their beginner classes in creek boats for a season.

As for the falling asleep issue - try trimming the hip pads. Removing some material from the front, vertical edge should help with this a whole lot more than moving the bulkhead, as that is where the blood is getting cut off.

Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote