Old 08-11-2011   #41
the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
this could be a skit on snl. it's a rock like a million other rocks in the poudre, a lot of which are sharp. leave the damn thing alone and find a way to go around it. tunnel is not that difficult of a rapid.

By the waterside I will lay my head.
Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul.
the_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011   #42
Originally Posted by the_dude View Post
this could be a skit on snl. it's a rock like a million other rocks in the poudre, a lot of which are sharp. leave the damn thing alone and find a way to go around it. tunnel is not that difficult of a rapid.
That would be a pretty dumb skit. Obviously it could not be with the original cast.

"So in two seconds, away we went, a sliding down the river, and it did seem so good to be free again and all by ourselves on the big river and nobody to bother us." -Mark Twain (The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn)
Ed Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011   #43
im interested to see what happens today (if anyone goes up there) - the options in tunnel get a lot more limited when the water drops. That said it might not even be in play with the lower water.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011   #44
Boise, Idaho
North Fork Payette is almost entirely made of sharp, jagged rocks tossed in the river from road construction. NFP is also the source of a number of deaths - kayaks or otherwise. Let's fix our mistakes and make this a friendlier river!
Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011   #45
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
This sure has been fun guys. Been up at the Upper C for three days and missed all the fireworks. Just like to thank Randaddy for balancing his experience and thoughtful musings with his usual douchebaggery. Good restraint. Myself, I'm with Big Ben. I am going to break out the disguises and the Zdrag and we'll use Ben's big ass truck to turn that bastard back over again.

Think Ranger Rob will recognize us Ben?
SimpleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011   #46
C. Springs, Colorado
I'm all for leaving the rock where it is........unless it trashes my boat.......then I'm all for removing it.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011   #47
Originally Posted by RiverWrangler View Post
I let my thoughts be known in the other thread so this post may even be a response to me, but my opinion is not "reactionary" or based on an "inflexible ideology." I've thought about this issue for a number of years and in this instance there is just no justifiable reason to mess with it. It may be road blast and yes the river gets modified all the time, by it's own forces and sometimes by the highway department or to build a playpark etc, but once we move down the road to modifying rapids because they are dangerous or damaging to raft equipment it is indeed a slippery slope. Next thing you know somebody will be blasting the rock wall out of the bottom of Cool World because it's a dangerous rapid with it in there and someone might break their boat on it.

It is a natural obstacle, is easy to avoid, and will only be a problem during a small flow window. We should not be in the business of river modification for the purposes of making a rapid less dangerous or damaging to raft equipment. If you know it's there, the river is wide and it is super easy to avoid it.
For one of the first times, I do not agree with Evan. What is sacred about rocks that get thrown into rivers during road construction? They were placed there by man, they can be moved by man. The Cool World example is completely different b/c that is a natural river. If you only alter things that have already been altered, there is no slippery slope.

On the WW Park side nobody seems to have a problem with changing perfectly natural rivers in Salida and BV. I say not only change it but make it a badass rapid with splat rocks and waves.
craporadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011   #48
Mad Scientist/Creeker
Originally Posted by craporadon View Post
\I say not only change it but make it a badass rapid with splat rocks and waves.
Now we are talking! Throw some splats and a sweet wave in there and as a community maybe we can judge that as reason to alter the river. Playparks are great for the river as they bring attention and people to the river to experience and hopefully protect the remaining wilderness and unaltered stretches. I think playparks have their place and it is in urban areas. I'm not into changing the natural streambed, not my style, I don't like to play God but I can see the good that playparks bring and they are one of the best places for teaching kids and for basic swiftwater rescue classes. The ones crapor builds are the best in the biz and I could get behind them. When we get one in Fort Collins it's going to be bad ass and I have used the streambed is already significantly altered argument to push for it, so I understand that.

Nothing is sacred about the blast rock, but who's to say it's blast rock for sure and who's to say that after you roll that thing someone won't get a foot entrapment on it or that it won't claim a life anyway. If we build a playpark and that happens then we had a sh!t engineer and we should have hired crapor, but the reasoning behind building it and the good the ww park will do, in my opinion, outweighs the negatives of altering the streambed. On the other hand, altering the streambed just to make an easier line for rafting the stretch at well below optimal water levels ain't a good enough reason for me and I stand by the idea that altering streambeds to make them less dangerous, even on previously altered stretches, sets a bad precedent. I guess I'm agreeing that it's situational and when the river is altered the line becomes fuzzy but I think playparks belong in urban areas and rivers outside of urban areas should not be altered for the purpose of making them less dangerous.

Confusing enough that now I'm questioning everything. Good discussion. Off to the Clarks Fork bitches...
Evan Stafford
Cub boater: "What do the spiders mean?" Old fart boater: "Trust your intuition." CRCII
RiverWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011   #49
fat guy in a little boat
FtC / Rancho del Rio, Colorado
Paddling Since: 8AM
whaddup eric!! how's the upper c treatin ya man?!?
...perfect disguise. noone will recognize us in that thing!! yo i guarantee my truck'll tip that bastard back over man. good z-drag practice too (like i needed any more after 5 years at a1!!)
hit me up when you come back to foco man. gotta get some drunken pineview ducky runs in before the water's gone.
peace brotha

All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
- Spicoli
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011   #50
That is actually a good point... made even more poignant by the fact that I was up there today flyfishing and got skunked.

festivus is offline   Reply With Quote