Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 12-25-2006   #1
Moving from durango to Hawaii, curious on a oceanwave boat

Well thanks for your time, thinking about the project,vision or the 420 for the best ocean wave boat.. I still want to paddle it on rivers also. Or i would get one of those drago rossi boats. Well let me know what you think! thanks mack

mrlaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006   #2
Pueblo, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Whitewater boats are slow.

You might want to get a specific ocean kayak. I spent a couple years in Hawaii. The sit on tops are nice, becuase you can jump into the water and launch. Instead of getting in on the beach and trying to push yourself through the shore break. They call the sit on tops "sit skiis".

I got a Ocean Kayak Rapido. It was about 10 ft. It was fast. I took an AMP there, but surfing on my wave ski was a lot more fun, so I rode the rapido most of the time. The whitewater boats have so much rocker that they are slow. The AMP has very little rocker, and was just under 8 feet. It was one of the fastest playboats, but it was slow compared to the sit skiis.

If I went back to Hawaii. I would get a Cobra strike. Get a surf specific boat. They will perform a lot better. There is a wavesport surf kayak.

Krynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006   #3
I'd recommend getting a fiberglass surf kayak...check out the boats at http://www.surfkayaks.com/.

I picked up a used Mega Prowler on craigslist for $550.

And good luck with the board surfers...
windowshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006   #4
Thanks, that's great info, I will look into that!
mrlaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007   #5
Krynn is right on. I am no expert having lived in CO the past 8 or 9 years but I have tasted some medium-large swell and no modern playboat will keep you in a nice pocket with out serious trashings. The airial rodeo moves are super fun and all but carving in the pocket is the way. Got taught my lesson in hurricane Isabel and Francis in Hateras NC, plus the Soup Bowl in Barbados. Forget about taking a 420, I hear there are some nice waterfalls to huck. But for gods sake take a surf specific boat or learn to boar surf.

You are a lucky, lucky person. Right now everyone in CO is Jonesin for some warm water surf. I can feel my muscles atrophy as the months pass.