Old 07-05-2005   #1
Moving from Durango to Asheville

I know this is a predominantly western site, but I was wondering if anyone has some input on Asheville. I am moving Aug. 1st, and was just wondering if someone could give me some beta (cost of living, night life, etc) in Asheville.

stonej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005   #2
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
cheap living,tight knit paddling community,the woman are hairy but very cool and fire shit up we probably wouldn't...Pizza is the word there at night,some colleges partys happening also...I love asheville,you will have a great time specially if you're bringing your own lady...The boating is awesome,have fun out there...

Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005   #3
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Used to live 70 miles west in Bryson City. Asheville is cool, you're a lucky dog. There is a lot of fun and culture for a city that size in that part of the country. It's kinda like an eastern, quasi-redneck Boulder, but only right in Asheville. The water is off the hook, you'll love it. Oh, did I mention that the water is actually warm there? Bastards.
Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005   #4
the women cant be worse than in Durango (not that they are ugly, but just few in Durango).
Old 07-05-2005   #5
Do you know Chris Houston, AKA Shagg? He lived in Durango just the past 3 or so years and just moved back to Ashville. If you are looking to hook up and paddle, try to find him there.

He is a c-1 boater that rips and is a top notch human being.

Old 07-05-2005   #6
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Asheville rocks the party. If you have to live east of the Miss and south of the Mason/Dixon, it's the ONLY place to be.

Kiss good skiing/riding bye bye, bro. The only downside.
BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005   #7
Interior Designer
Send a message via ICQ to carolinagirl
Hey Josh,

I lived about an hour west of Asheville for eight years proir to the past 20 months of being here. I would be happy to give you the "low-down" and hook you up with some incredible boaters. Give me a call @ 704-650-4654.
carolinagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005   #8
Just moved to Cashville from Durango myself in March

If you like creeking, you are gonna be stoked. The green runs every day, and you can go a big a you want 3x. I do miss the Colorado high country, but we paddle all the time with the best in the world. Give me a call when you get to town. John Boone (704)906-1783 in Montford
JBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005   #9
Thanks everyone, I am feeling good about the move. Corinne, I will give you a call... it always helps to have some people to go boating with (if they dont mind stepping down a notch and running class III-IV stuff). Once again, thanks