Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 09-18-2009   #11
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
The 8000.00 tax credit is only available to first time homebuyers and expires in october.. FYI

I am a Mortgage lender.

Kendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009   #12
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I meant to add I am not a Mortgage broker, so i couldnt do your loan, but could give any fellow paddlers some sound advice if needed!

Kendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009   #13
Carbondale, Colorado
For clarity, First time homebuyers = anyone who hasn't owned in the last three years! Need to have a house under contract by the beginning of October since you have to close by October 30th to get the 8 grand.
RJennings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009   #14
I'm wrong 50% of the time
RFV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Ummm. Hey RJ@M&M.com. Do your homework before saying rush rush rush.

I am not an agent and do not have any ties to agents, brokers, etc. I do live in the Roaring Fork Valley.

BUT: The 1st time HBC is good 1/1/09 - 11/30/09. It is 10% of purchase price or $8000 (cap). Single buyers need a modified adjusted gross income of $75,000 or less to qualify for the full credit, that's $150,000 for married couples. Those earning more than these thresholds may be eligible for reduced credits. The tax credit is "refundable," qualified buyers can take advantage of it even if they don't have that much tax liability. (you can possibly use it as a down payment) Buyers have to own the home for at least three years in order to capitalize on the credit. If they sell the home before then, they will have to return the credit to the government.
Claimer: Someone that makes a claim that they have been there and done that, can do anything you can do better than you. I hate "claimers"
brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009   #15
Carbondale, Colorado
You are correct Brendodendo. My mistake. I must have read Kendos post stating October and obviously wasn't thinking when I responded. I don't care if they rush out and by a house or not but if they want the credit they should understand that it typically takes 30-45 days to close so they best find a house and get it under contract to be able to close by the deadline. Honestly, I counsel my buyers that they have a decision to make. It's a toss up whether you buy now or wait. Prices are almost certain to continue to fall through Winter and into Spring (thereby saving you the $8,000 anyways), however, interest rates are almost certain to rise which at some point will make your payment as high as if you bought now and the house may actually end up costing you more in the long run if you hold it for the entire, let's say, 30yr term. It really comes down to how motivated they are to get into a home right now.

If you've got any homework for me do send it my way, I'm not afraid of homework and I always like to learn from someone with more knowledge. If anyone has more questions on the credit I have a multipage FAQ doc that will answer any questions you have and more.

RJennings is offline   Reply With Quote