Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 03-08-2012   #11
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
If you can get in, go to OSU in Corvallis. The paddling scene is good there, and you'll get by for a couple of years while you set yourself up for the rest of your life. PSU and SOU are decidedly Tier 2 schools in this state, and more like Tier 3 nationwide. You don't want that if you can avoid it.

As for the JC side, there is enough work in Portland to get by as a college kid. Corvallis, Eugene and HR are a lot tougher to find work in.

brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012   #12
ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
Boating in the Rogue Valley

Originally Posted by boxcarC View Post
Thanks, I've heard Ashland is a pretty sweet town what kind of paddling does the bend and rogue area offer are they more river running or creeking or all sorts of variety? I'm about a III-IV paddler but wanting to step it up by getting on the water as much as possible.

Thanks for the input man I do hear Virginia has some sweet spots but considering I just moved to Oregon just a few months ago from NC I should prob stick it out here haha. I do appreciate the advice tho.
The Rogue valley/State of Jefferson has every kind of boating (class 1-5, creeks, rivers and overnight wilderness trips) especially in late fall, winter, spring and early summer. The standard rivers and their respective tribs. on the hit list include the Rogue & it's NF, Illinois, Smith, Umpqua, Saramento, Klamath, Scott, McCloud, Applegate, Trinity, Chetco, Coquille and Cal Salmon. There is more diving down here in the south part of the state as compared to the Willamette Valley though and as the saying goes around here; 'the best class 5 in So. Oregon is in Ca'.

pretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012   #13
Detroit, Oregon
Are the runs mainly river and bigger water or creeking style on the rogue?
boxcarC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012   #14
Detroit, Oregon
Do you all have any thoughts on the paddling in Oregon city (clackamas community college) or The Dalles (Columbia Gorge community college)?
boxcarC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012   #15
ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
Originally Posted by boxcarC View Post
Are the runs mainly river and bigger water or creeking style on the rogue?
The Rogue Valley/State of Jefferson is pretty much a class 3/4 heaven for boating, both creeking, river-running and playboating. The boating runs we do by season are:
mid summer until the rain starts; Lower Rogue class 3 overnight, NF Rogue class 3-4+ creeky, Upper Klamath river running class 4-4+, lower Klamath playspots schoolhouse & Bronco, Middle Rogue playrun class 2+to 4, N. Umpqua class 3, Upper McCloud scenic class 3 river-running, Trinity Burnt Ranch Gorge 4+ to 5-, All of these runs go 365 days a year.
When it starts to rain (late Oct-mid Nov) we head over to the Smith in N. Ca. for the great natural flows, water quality & warmer winter temps. The Smith has every kind of boating imaginable from class 5 creeks to class 2+ river runs to committing wilderness hike-ins and everything in between with the NF wilderness class 3/4 run being the must do run. If we get a warm rain in winter the options are in the many dozens of runs
Snowmelt season starts in late March and lasts until mid June, options are too many to list... most major watersheds will have anywhere from 2 to 12 runs going depending on the state of the melt. Being a class 4 boater my favs are; Box canyon on the Sac., overnight trip on the Illinois, Squaw Valley creek into the Lower McCloud, and on and on...
I have not done enough boating in the Willamette Valley but I have run Opal Creek a few times and I dare say that's the best class 4 in Oregon. For playboating I've run Lake Creek outside of Florence a bit too and it's gotta be the best playrun in the state or more likely one of the best anywhere.
pretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012   #16
Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
There is good boating all up and down western oregon, if you are looking at schooling, pick the best school that fits your needs, there will be boating opportunities regardless. I vote Lynn-Benton cc, but I went to OSU so I am biased. There is a lot of boating within 1 hour of town. Canyon Creek yo!

shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote