Old 03-14-2011   #11
Boulder, Colorado
the kayaking near Seattle is WAY better than the options near fresno, not even close. The kings is close to fresno but unless you like class 3 thats not the best option, the best close stuff is the Kaweah drainage by far (maybe 1.5-2 hrs to the goods).

tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011   #12
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Are you headed to Bangor or Bremerton?

Just remember to build in an extra 45 minutes each way for the Bremerton Ferry to get to downtown Seattle and about the same for the Kingston - Edmonds ferry. Edmonds is then about 20-30 minutes from the Snoqualmie and Skykomish drainages, and the The OP is a very kick ass place. There are some very wild places up there. If your kayaking takes you south, it isn't a bad drive to get to Olympia, then to the southern end of the state. There you will find the East Fork Lewis, Canyon Creek and Ohane.

I'd say Washington, but that's just because I like breathing.

brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011   #13
Silverdale, Washington
Paddling Since: 2007
Tom, I like downriver play in Class III and IV, but ideally I'd be creeking most of the time. Brandob9, I am looking at Bremerton if I head to Washington. Thanks for the info and opinions guys. Looks like Washington is the choice, should I get it as expected.
CO_Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011   #14
Denver / Coloma / Monterey, CO / CA
Paddling Since: 1971
Having lived in all three states: CA (grew up there), WA (20 years) and CO (currently) I give WA the thumbs up for year round boating. Especially given that you, like me, prefer boating over snow most of the time.

You will have a longer drive and/or ferry ride to get to the Cascade rivers from Bremerton but the OP has some stellar stuff. Check out Jefferson Creek.

Wherever you end up will be great as both WA and CA have a lot to offer when it comes to mountains and rivers.

If you end up in WA, PM me and I'll send you some contact info for super solid boaters there.
Kyle K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011   #15
The Bitterroot, Montana
Fresno is about 2 hours away from lots of cool shit. World class climbing skiing and boating can be found in almost every direction. That being said Fresno sucks. I did my EMT internship at the ER there and saw a gunshot or stabbing every night I was there. And as people have mentioned you need to put "Fresyes" fairly far into the rearview to be somewhere you want to be.
montuckyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011   #16
Horserump, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Calif in the spring but Washington for year around.
yak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011   #17
pnw, Washington
Sorry, I missed the going away bash. Have fun and good luck.

"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote