Old 03-11-2004   #1
Mountains v.s. Ocean

After reading the meaning of life question, I decided to post my personal questions. I'm from the Midwest but have been living in durango the last 2 and half years. Love the lifestyle, area, etc. However I have this desire to check out island life, especially North Shore Kauai. Reasons against packing up and moving are: I just bought a house in August, and even thought it has appreciated enough to cover the real estate expensises, I'd be throwing away future appreciation and kinda lucked into getting a morgage and dought I would be able to get one again for awhile, and I'm in college and have been offered a job at a local real estate firm, long time 2 year girlfriend who I love is here.
After writing it all down I realize that I have it great, however I can't get the thought of warm weather, palm trees, and surf out of my mind. Also pursuing a career in real estate is possable out there so finded work wouldn't be no problem. Any advice would be greatly recommended, also if anyone has living in hawaii please descirbe the pros and cons. Thanks

Lovin' Durango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004   #2
Paddling Since: 1997
LD, first off thanks for your response to my philisophical wonderings, its definitly cool to know that its a common conundrum, searching for the perfect lifestyle etc. My dad is a realestate agent and I definitly know he enjoys it and is extreemly fulfilled by his work. One major realization that I remarked on earlier is the one that Maryjane talked about in the meaning of life question. That is the importance of who you surround yourself with. I've definitly spent some time thinking about it and am slowly realizing that carreir and lifestyle is important but people and truly having someone there for you is ten times more important / fulfilling. Vacations are always a good way of achieving a much needed escape or a way of trying on a new lifestyle. See if your girlfriend shares any of your beachy feelings. I spent about three months in europe living, working and traveling and have moved around during the summers while i'm in school and its been a good way of experiencing the lifestyles of different places without making a major commitment. Whatever the case, be totally truthful and open with those around you who you care about and look for the signs that might point you in the right direction. Life isnt always totally straight forward but at least we have the luxury of being able to live it and have these fun questions. good luck, and I hope you get some more responses that are helpful.
asherj is offline   Reply With Quote