Old 08-21-2009   #11

In Utah, any horsepower motor on a raft requires registration, and for the registration numbers to be displayed in a prescribed manner. If you're a Colorado resident, you still will have to be in accord with the Utah requirement.

While you may not see rangers when you launch, they do patrol the river, and of course there are rangers on Powell as well.

Rich Phillips

richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009   #12
Durango, Colorado
^^^ You may want to call the NPS and verify that if you're from out of state. If I remember right the permit says you just have to be registered in accordance with the laws of your own state.

storm11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009   #13
San Juans, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
You need to have a boat registered, regardless of what state you are in. In addition to registration you need to adhere to UT boating regulations:

Fire Extinguisher (one rated for chemical fires, ie gas)
Throwable device (cushion, bag, etc.., PFD available for each occupant)
Noise device, they will accept your whistle
You have to have navigation lights if you plan on motoring at night.

Colorado State Parks issue registration, you ordered it, get a 2 month temporary paper, then they issue you a number and sticker. Unfortunatly with budget cuts they haven't been prompt. I have been waiting almost 4 months for my sticker, not sure how a NPS ranger in UT would treat a 2 month over due temporary registration......

I have never been checked on cataract, but I ran into an Outward Bound trip earlier this summer that had been busted in the past for motoring at nigh with out the proper lights. You need a mooring light, and a red strobe of you are 'under way'.

As of last week current was about 1mph until Gypsum canyon, and about .25 mph at the bridge, but PM winds make that about -4mph. The lake is dropping so as each day passes current will be faster.

You could post on here offering to trade gas, beer, etc to a group if they are motoring out. I have been lucky enough to be motored out by strangers when it was just our 2 boats.

Sport Climbing is Neither
--The Verm
dgosn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009   #14

Storm11 is right; I wasn't precise enough.

You should be ready to present valid registration for your state, and to display the registration numbers in the required manner on the boat itself.

There is a presumption is that every state requires a motorized craft to be registered, and the numbers so displayed. If your state doesn't have that requirement, be ready to prove it.

And yes, they may check other things like fire extinguishers, night-time running lights, etc., as well.

Rich Phillips

richp is offline   Reply With Quote