Old 03-07-2009   #1
Motor Question

Hi all-
After rowing across Lake Fowell in some ridiculous head winds I decided to get a motor. I think I am going to get a Briggs and Stratton 5 hp, 4 stroke. Has anyone used this motor to push a pod of boats? How big of a pod do you think it would move ( probably will be 14 footers)?
Also, how do people store/transport their motors on the raft. Do I need to get a dry box and try to keep the motor upright? Could I just get an army duffel? If the boat does flip and the motor gets wet and turned upside down am I going to have problems with the motor?
Starting to plan for our Grand trip next March, figure below Killer Fang Falls might as well break out the motor and relax. Thanks for the input.

poudreraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009   #2
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Didn't you know this is now a motor free forum? Row your damn boat!

Just kidding. I have this motor and it is just Ok. While it is nice to have a four stroke for emission purposes, it is loud and heavy. The reason the Briggs is cheaper and louder than a more expensive honda is because it is AIR COOLED. It really feels like you are mowing your lawn while driving this thing.

It was cheap, and seems reliable. I've pushed some big pods, but it does struggle with more than 3, I'd say. I think we've done 6-7 out of westy in mild winds, but the driver really needs to be paying attention or you will crash. Don't expect that you can just pass it off to just anyone and go sit in the front.

Also be sure and never hit any rocks in reverse. The unit is not built to handle that at all.... I still need to see if replacement parts for that are worth aquiring.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009   #3

As Dave says, the B&S motors are loud, and also seem to vibrate a lot more than the other four-strokes I've used. You get what you pay for. It might not be a bad idea to try to pick up a used Honda, Merc, or Nissan five horse four-stroke.

As to stowing, my Honda five goes down lashed to the back of the boat, and fires right up without any special storage issues -- even after getting soaked every now and then. But I suspect a full flip would probably require some special care and cleaning.

Why not make it simple and invite me and my Honda five on your trip? (smile) I mean, every GC trip needs a feeble old geezer who doesn't party, but can be relied on to have the coffee going in the morning when the rest of the crew rolls out.....

Rich Phillips
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009   #4
sorry rich, not my permit. Any suggestions on sites to check for used 5 - 7hp 4-strokes for sale? I keep finding the same sites.
Old 03-08-2009   #5

Depending on where you are, Craigslist, maybe phone calls to local marinas about trade-ins, or simply following the classified ads in the paper. For instance, here's a small motor in the SLC area right now - Ad Listing

The other thing might be eBay, if you could catch something close enough that shipping wasn't the price-killer.

Or you could rent one and have someone bring it in at Diamond.....

Good luck, and have a great trip.

richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009   #6
Leadvillian, Colorado
pack a box of Wheaties old man

I bought a used trolling motor from that marina supply down near loveland

don't know if it's still around any more though
Matt J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009   #7
I will have a big bag of healthy greens to help me through. Gareth has a permit 5 days earlier than our put-in and there is room on it. If you ask nicely he may let a couple of newlywed dirt bags from Costa Rica tag along!
Old 03-08-2009   #8
Leadvillian, Colorado
he actually rang us last week with the invite

we're definately going to make it up there for that

a friend just got back and said early march is a pretty nice time to be down there

guess we'll invest in a couple of drysuits
Matt J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009   #9
You definately should buy a dry suit. Not sure if they have crazy amazon lady sizes, but she is used to stuff that doesn't fit! I lived in my drysuit last time down, but it was in November and cold and rainy last couple of weeks. We will be a few days behind, maybe run Lava together
Old 03-08-2009   #10
oh yeah and we'll wave and maybe share a beer as we motor past you guys on the way out!