Old 03-09-2009   #21
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
An old 2 stroke 10 is the $hit for pushing a pod. If it is just one boat, and it's a self bailer, it just makes it take on more water; you reach a hull speed and that is about it. But if you are pushing a pod the extra horses really help. If you run a cat you might even plane out with a light load.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009   #22

I've used both fives and tens on similar rafts. (Indeed, I have an 18 HP Tohatsu four stroke that burns a lot of fuel to yield only about twice as much speed as my Honda five.) A ten horse is going to push you a little faster, but not all that much. After all, you're not trying to get up on plane here -- you just don't want to have to row out against the wind, right?

Some of the performance you get will be related to prop type -- a five with the right prop will be more efficient than a ten with the wrong one for your hull type. There are charts and formulas available to figure that out. Also note that a ten horse four stroke is going to weigh at least 50% more than a five horse, if that makes any difference. My older Honda five weighs 65 pounds, and the new Honda 9.9 long shafts are listed at 92.

Motor type is a consideration if you're thinking about doing rivers or impoundments that currently prohibit two-strokes -- as in Grand Canyon. And thinking ahead, it seems likely that more and more river management agencies are going to require four strokes. So looking to the future, buying a four stroke now may just save you from having to go out and hunt for one, while trying to dump the old two stroke.

Rich Phillips

richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009   #23
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2003
my cat with 28" tubes sits kind of high so I had to get a exlong shaft so I could mount the motor 6" below the frame and reach it without having to bend over backwards to reach the tiller. The rule is ... short shaft is 15" from inside of transom clamp to the horizontal anti-cavitation plate above the prop, 20" is a long shaft and 25" is an extra long shaft. Now to figure the proper length you need. The distance from the transom of the boat, frame etc. to the deepest part of the boat should be equal to the shaft length. Since cats don't have anything pointing down in front of the motor a raft has the flat bottom. I hope some of this helps. BTW I haven't run my motor on the cat yet so my motor could bee too long but if I calculated it right then mine should work for me or I can raise the transom to the height of my frame.. This is my first motor, it's a 25" Johnson Sailmaster 9.9 and a 2 stroke (the longer shafts are used for sail boats). I think I read that 4 strokes like the Honda's need to be laid on one side than the other but I don't know which side but I think they are marked. 2 strokes don't care and and a good piece of advise is to at least carry two extra spark plugs that are kept dry. 2 strokes that get wet are easier to start than 4 strokes but 2 strokes smoke more, have more power, and need oil mixed with the gas, and are lighter in weight. The newer 2 strokes have an oil injection so you don't have to premix the gas and oil. The reason I got the 9.9 hp is because it was cheap for the power and I plan on using my cat to fool/fish around in a (spelled real small) lake.
"I hope others think more of me than I think of myself" SL
spankey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009   #24
Thanks for all of the replies so far! I have been looking at used outboards. It sounds like Honda has the best 4-stroke outboard motors. Are any of the others Nissan, Evinrude, Mercury, etc. close? Do you think it would be worth a couple of hundred dollars less something other than a Honda or should I just fork out the cash? I don't want to be a small engine wizard in one season, just want a dependable motor
poudreraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009   #25
Kayak/SUP Instructor
The High Ground, Colorado
Originally Posted by spankey View Post
This is my first motor, it's a 25" Johnson Sailmaster 9.9 and a 2 stroke (the longer shafts are used for sail boats).
Good comment on the need for a longshaft for your application. The 9.9 is a great little motor, although a bit cold blooded at start up, and with the correct prop and jetted for altitude should do you right. Sounds like you already know that running a hotter plug can't make up for a properly jetted carburetor. BTW - I have the 15 hp and at 8K feet ASL on a hot day has about the power of the 9.9 at sea level.

Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote