Old 03-31-2011   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Motor for Cataract Canyon

Hey friends,

Anyone in Denver or Salt Lake City have a motor and motor-mount setup for a raft that they'd be willing to rent out to a fellow boater? We're launching on Cataract from Mineral Bottom on the 9th and planning on taking out on the 14th at the Dirty Devil/Hite. Time will be short there at the end and we're hoping to find a quick way out after the rapids.

I think there's room to add people to the permit as well, if you'd like to come along for the ride. The park service changed the rules though and after tomorrow (April 1st, 2011), it costs $20 per person to run cataract on top of the $30 per permit fee. No fooling!

Or, another idea we've had is to pay someone to pull us out from below the rapids. I've heard of people who can motor up from Hite and meet below the rapids, and then you tag-along for the pull out, skipping the heinous all-night against-the-wind epic... Does anybody here do that or know of a reliable outfitter that provides this service?

Thoughts? Ideas? I really appreciate having access to the desert boating community through these forums.

Many thanks,
Denver, CO

Redbeardthepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011   #2
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Continuing in my favorite Buzz tradition of responding to a post without answering anyone's question:

Is Mineral Bottom open again? I thought it was going to be a couple of years?

twmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011   #3
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Yep, Mineral Bottom road is open again. The park service cranked it out:

Canyonlands National Park - White Rim Road Now Open (U.S. National Park Service)

I imagine that the new river running fees might have something to do with recovering the cost of that operation.
Redbeardthepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011   #4
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
With six days you won't need a motor at all, unless you're a huge pussy. Three days from Mineral Bottom, a layover near the confluence, a day to run the rapids and make a few miles, and one flat day with plenty of current. With Lake Powell so low there's absolutely no reason to use a motor on the Colorado River!
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011   #5
boulder, Colorado
A least someone said what needed to be said. Sack up and row off. Otherwise you haven't ran the river, or the lake as the case may be.
squeakyboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011   #6
Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1970
The lake was high last August and there was NO current about a mile below big drop 3. I doubt it has dropped enough for current all the way to Dirty Devil.

I'm surprised the road is reopened. It went out a week or so after our August trip. Big rains all week pumped the water up to 12,000 and kept it cool. Made for an excellent trip. Good thing we got the shuttle vehicle out before the road gave way.

Six days is plenty of time to get it done at a leisurely pace and do the row out. Yea I would want a motor too. 30 miles a no current and up canyon winds sucks. It's rafting and rowing is the way to get it done - Lake Powell sucks... I've never had a motor for that haul but it is the one place that I would like it.

BackCountry is offline   Reply With Quote

cataract, cataract canyon