Old 11-15-2009   #1
most SCENIC- rogue or salmon?

based on SHEER BEAUTY of the surroundings- which is tops? rogue, middle fork, or main fork?
i know it's difficult as paddlers to not consider the level/challenge, etc. of rapids, but try to not let that influence your decision. i'm a photographer with an opportunity to shoot one of those three this summer for stock imagery- which would you choose? WHY?

bth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009   #2
Central, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
The Middle Fork might give you some more options in terms of subject matter. Seems like there was better hiking and view opportunities on the Middle. The Middle also goes thru lots of different terrain from deep canyons to alpine to grasslands. Fishing on the Middle is awesome, especially if you wait for the water to drop. The Main has the best beaches. Wildlife on the Middle and Main are generally comparable. Hit the Rogue this fall and it was amazing with the Steelhead running and the fall colors. The Rogue seems like it runs deeper and being coastal has a lot of contrast with the weather,clouds, plant diversity etc. That said, I would still vote Middle but I'm a hack when it comes to photography. Good luck!

IdahoJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009   #3
Jenks, Oklahoma
All three are awesome, hard choice

I have run all three multiple times.

A photographer would not go wrong on any of them.

I agree with the above post in that my all around photo shoot would be the Middle Fork. The change from alpine creek to wide valley shots and the final run down impassable canyon with steep walls and big water make for awesome images. Wildlife is every where on the Middle Fork.

Having said the above --- all three are world class runs as far as scenic wonders are concerned.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009   #4
Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
The Fork!
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009   #5
Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
Owyhee, no lottery required
shappattack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009   #6
ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
The Rogue is my home river, but I have to agree with oakieboater for the same reasons. More varied and dramatic landscape . Plus it's a longer run by far, so more time on the river! This is a no lose choice though and good times are in your future. One more thing, not on your list but the Jarbidge/Bruneau is my vote for most scenic and as a 1st year wild and scenic river is in need of a good photographer to chronicle it's one of a kind beauty.
pretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009   #7
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Haven't done the Rouge (yet), but between the Middle Fork and Main Salmon, it would be Middle Fork, hands down. The Main Salmon is my all time fav trip, but the scenery on the Middle Fork is spectacular.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009   #8
Othello, Washington
Paddling Since: 1975
The Owyhee in April. Nearby is the gravesite of Sacajewa's sone, John Baptiste.

dugger is offline   Reply With Quote