Old 10-09-2012   #41
Boof like a Utard.
Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 1995
I did a trip down there in November and had reasonable temps. We were rolling boats at Diamond Ck. in shorts, but it can be cold. The two must-haves are a thermos and good shin high ditch boots. The best ones I've seen are called Extra-tuf and they're used in AK by fishermen. Flexible at the ankle with a felt liner of some sort, no steel toes or shanks to freeze your toes either. With the rise and fall of the tides you will be in these EVERYDAY. For camp shoes many on my trip used Ugg boots (even guys). I suppose they're great with plush lining and no holes to let in sand, but the worst part about wearing Ugg boots is having to tell your fiance that you're gay. Have fun.

kennyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012   #42
Little Chief
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 28
May sound weird, but a dust mask can be useful in camp. Can be windy and the silt blowing around some camps can wreck havoc on the lungs and make sleeping, even in tents difficult.

little chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012   #43
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Paddle bong
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012   #44
-, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994

Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
This has to be the least useful suggestion so far. How much shit do people need?

My suggestion is to take your clothing and personal accessories and cut the load in half. You'll be glad for the simplicity.

Also, good rain gear and a personal umbrella. Don't just assume your drysuit will be fine, you're going to want to get out of that thing! If it's raining in camp and you can put on shells and walk around with an umbrella you'll be happy exploring while everyone hides in their tent!

I think it is really useful to have some cams or chocks for tying up in all kinds of places. Havasu, Matkat, luch spots in Marble Canyon, etc. They take up very little space, can be very useful in a rescue, and dont really have much of a downside as far as I can see.

Im not sure what it is about the internet that makes people so judgemental and confrontational. Lighten up and contribute positive input.

Have a nice day.

heytat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012   #45
Time management and a group of people that are motivated to do what ever it takes and willing to get up in the dark. ... Think of it as a working vacation.
oarboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012   #46
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2000
Extra tuff ditch boots and a couple hanky/bandanas (for your gal,wet underware at camp is the worst when it is cold). They dry off fast. My boyfriend thinks it is gross, but peeing in the river when it is cold out sucks!
boatingbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012   #47
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I am intrigued by the number of folks recommending ditch boots. That is something that I never ever thought of.
DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012   #48
boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Hard workers. I just got off of a great Grand Canyon trip and we had a lot of very hard workers who made the trip really easy. Everyone did their share.

I saw a couple boats with nuts, as in climbing nuts. I was told they were useful for a couple spots like Havasu and Matkat. There were so many pieces of fixed/stuck nuts with runners/slings on them that we had plenty of options to clip to. There is no need to bring your own gear.
May the wind be always at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
shoenfeld13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012   #49
Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Originally Posted by DoubleYouEss View Post
I am intrigued by the number of folks recommending ditch boots. That is something that I never ever thought of.
Until you start bringing them you don't realize how useful they can be. I take them on every trip. One example is that they make it easy for my wife to step in the water to go get something off the boat, when she wants to keep her feet dry. She's not always keen on stepping onto and walking along the boat. Others usually ask if they can borrow them for the same reason.
David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012   #50
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Wellies work well too, and pack a bit smaller than irrigation biots.

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote